Allentown Housing Urgent!

55 minutes ago, dcikon2 said:

I would be skeptical of using Allentown again for a contest if enough adequate housing can't be found for all of the corps.

Allentown is a huge moneymaker for DCI since they get use of stadium dirt cheap.   Overall costs determine where shows all held. Housing is only one component.

3 minutes ago, dcifanforlife said:

Allentown is a huge moneymaker for DCI since they get use of stadium dirt cheap.   Overall costs determine where shows all held. Housing is only one component.

It doesn't matter how cheap the site is if there are no corps to perform because there is no place to stay...and the corps that need the finances for a boost to grow are the ones without a place to say it seems....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rileydog said:

It doesn't matter how cheap the site is if there are no corps to perform because there is no place to stay...and the corps that need the finances for a boost to grow are the ones without a place to say it seems....

They have found housing for twenty three corps.  DCI has the option to put the final two corps in hotels/motels but Allentown is completely booked this weekend.  Unfortunately these two corps will have to stay a long distance away and bus in.  DCI is looking for best option.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dcifanforlife said:

They have found housing for twenty three corps.  DCI has the option to put the final two corps in hotels/motels but Allentown is completely booked this weekend.  Unfortunately these two corps will have to stay a long distance away and bus in.  DCI is looking for best option.

I know this year is also an abnormality because of the flooding and schools being used as emergency centers. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, dcifanforlife said:

Unfortunately these two corps will have to stay a long distance away and bus in.  DCI is looking for best option.

This is really unfortunate if true, especially given all the bridges that have apparently been burned by other corps who have housing sites.

This show location has a lot of important history, but if the local community won’t support it anymore, DCI should move on.  There are lots of great former show sites that have gone the way of the dodo.  Last year one of the Allentown shows got rained out, and parking and access to the facility are not very good anyway.  Seems that DCI could do better than Allentown.

1 hour ago, dcifanforlife said:

If they get it so cheap and experience huge crowds which they do. Then dci should step-up and entice the schools financially, the show must go on. Would it be a budget breaker to do this for three corps?

Why did this predicament happen in the first place?  Did the original housing fall through? 

Edited by luv4corps

22 minutes ago, wolfgang said:

I know acoustically this is not ideal, but the Carrier Dome in Syracuse could be a weather-safe venue. Don't know about parking or if finding housing would be much different than Allentown.

Allentown draws a lot of fans from Northern N.J.,Pa and NY.

I don't see Syracuse being as good a draw.

13 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

If they get it so cheap and experience huge crowds which they do. Then dci should step-up and entice the schools financially, the show must go on. Would it be a budget breaker to do this for three corps?

Years ago once or twice a year we always had a corps stay at our local  grammar school.

I used to work with the school board to keep up the practice.

There was always a crowd watching them rehearse.

They eventually had to stop,not because of costs,people from  Town offered to donate for that,but because of insurance/liability  issues.

The other problem,we had the Cadets stay here once.As others have posted.they (GH) didn't live up to their agreement to use the school's facilities.

All it takes is one corps not  following  the school's to sour a school board so that  they don't even consider hosting a corps anymore .

So even if the insurance/liability issue could have been resolved,the school board just said no.

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

Years ago once or twice a year we always had a corps stay at our local  grammar school.

I used to work with the school board to keep up the practice.

There was always a crowd watching them rehearse.

I think what your describing is a larger issue that is of utmost importance. This thread is more time sensitive. There are 3 corps on the road and may need to by-pass a hub show because of housing. Just a little math in my head. 3 corps about 600 people. We're looking at around $7500.00 to put them 4 to a room in an average hotel. dci could put up a go-fund-me page I would sponsor a room. Could also hold a 50/50 at each show indicating the need for the money. Maybe if enough folks committing to the go-fund-me could provide a comfort level that we are willing to help dci.

• Like 2