DCI Eastern Classic – Friday, August 3, 2018

6 minutes ago, brassboy said:

Except in terms of importance it IS treated as a regional, as it is used in part to determine prelims seeding and all World Class corps appear on one of the nights. The split I believe is purely logistical due to limitations of the facility/area. 

Right , that I agree with.  IF they want it to be a true regional, they need to move to a new location. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ghost said:

Yes, those possible storms are moving quickly, but the large weather front from Tampa, FL, to eastern PA, may cause problems for a few other shows later this week.

1 hour ago, grenadasmoothie said:

And, BTW, Accuweather says from 43% to 51% chance of rain, with the highest likelihood around 6:00 and after 10:00. Would love to see those #s drop throughout the day :whistle: .

http://www.intellicast.com/local/wxmap.aspx      Weather area is big and moving slowly.  

This is the second week in a row where we have had this weather pattern. The showers are usually heavy and last maybe 20 minutes, but there is usually several hours between storms.There is clearing skies before and after these storms, but when it does rain, it comes fast and heavy. Occasionally, some have very high winds but haven't seen that since Sunday night. If this continues, there may be a delay but not likely a rainout.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fishindoog said:

This is the second week in a row where we have had this weather pattern. The showers are usually heavy and last maybe 20 minutes, but there is usually several hours between storms.There is clearing skies before and after these storms, but when it does rain, it comes fast and heavy. Occasionally, some have very high winds but haven't seen that since Sunday night. If this continues, there may be a delay but not likely a rainout.

It’s the thunderstorms that are far more problematic. If they don’t move out of the area, they’ll have a hard time resuming the show. 

Everyone please stop using terrible apps for their weather that are just smoothed out data and trust the men and women of your local weather service office! 
Allentown weather: https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=40.60263000000003&lon=-75.47026999999997#.W2RcdVVKipp

More detailed regional discussion: https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=PHI&issuedby=PHI&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Den8uml said:

Everyone please stop using terrible apps for their weather that are just smoothed out data and trust the men and women of your local weather service office! 
Allentown weather: https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=40.60263000000003&lon=-75.47026999999997#.W2RcdVVKipp

More detailed regional discussion: https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=PHI&issuedby=PHI&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

YES!  THANK YOU!

God bless the NWS :)

• Like 1

I love Allentown.  Went on my farewell to Allentown trip in 2014.  

But I’m not comfortable in the stadium and the weather is unpredictable.  That’s why I’m not going back.  Everything else about the experience is great and I recommend that everyone go once.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, brassboy said:

Except in terms of importance it IS treated as a regional, as it is used in part to determine prelims seeding and all World Class corps appear on one of the nights. The split I believe is purely logistical due to limitations of the facility/area. 

And a lack of viable options. The only dome in the NE is Syracuse which is a logistical nightmare and the sound is horrible. Any other major college or pro stadium is open air and many are real grass, limiting props like Chester does. Plus the cost goes way up

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I love Allentown.  Went on my farewell to Allentown trip in 2014.  

But I’m not comfortable in the stadium and the weather is unpredictable.  That’s why I’m not going back.  Everything else about the experience is great and I recommend that everyone go once.  

I've been going to Allentown since 1999 and love it.  I like that it has the small-town feel to it with prices that are reasonable for food.  I've been there for sweltering heat and downpours/thunderstorms but I still love it. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

I’m really curious because the weather’s not looking good for Friday night, but Saturday night is looking OK. So how will corps get seeded if Friday night gets cancelled but not Saturday?

In extreme cases like weather and illness, DCI usually takes the highest score earned prior to a regional as part the seeding score for Prelims, such as when the Cavaliers had to miss Atlanta in 2015. But because of the number of rainouts this week, I think DCI should use scores from the shows after Allentown to determine their (the corps slated to perform Friday night) seeding score for Prelims.

That's a good idea except for 1 thing-tonight is the last time until next Thurs. that the top 3 will go head-to-head. But--it should all straighten out by Fri. in Indy no matter what.