DCI Eastern Classic – Friday, August 3, 2018

Ray, people will come, Ray.

They'll come to Allentown for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll walk up that hill, not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at their seats as innocent as children, longing for the past... They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it. For it is money they have and peace they lack... The memories will be so thick, they'll have to brush them away from their faces.

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been Allentown.

Drum corps has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But Allentown has marked the time.

fieldofdreams9.jpg

This field, this show -- it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good, and it could be again.

Ohhhhhhhh, people will come, Ray. People will most definitely come.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2018 at 2:16 PM, Jeff Ream said:

I’m looking for great shows and great tailgating in Pineville 

Jeff-are you down there with my buddy Rich Templin and the gang ?

2 minutes ago, denmum said:

That's a good idea except for 1 thing-tonight is the last time until next Thurs. that the top 3 will go head-to-head. But--it should all straighten out by Fri. in Indy no matter what.

Good point. Also, if the strategy I suggested is indeed used, it means we won't find out the Prelims schedule until Tuesday morning, as SCV, Phantom and Music City don't perform again until Monday.

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I love Allentown.  Went on my farewell to Allentown trip in 2014.  

But I’m not comfortable in the stadium and the weather is unpredictable.  That’s why I’m not going back.  Everything else about the experience is great and I recommend that everyone go once.  

You gotta be a bit of a billy goat to enjoy Allentown.  Whether it’s the stadium or surrounding area, you will be climbing some hills.  The park/lot is magical here.  Best of the summer.  

The stadium herself is a ruthless #$&@* for corps unprepared.  Nothing covered up, everything exposed.  J. Barney tells the truth on every  group.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, denmum said:

That's a good idea except for 1 thing-tonight is the last time until next Thurs. that the top 3 will go head-to-head. But--it should all straighten out by Fri. in Indy no matter what.

That’s irrelevant to using scores for seeding though. The line-ups for each day of Allentown were determined before the season began. It just so happened that the current top 3 are all in tonight’s contest. 

16 minutes ago, brassboy said:

That’s irrelevant to using scores for seeding though. The line-ups for each day of Allentown were determined before the season began. It just so happened that the current top 3 are all in tonight’s contest. 

I agree with you to an extent, but I would think even those 3 corps' would like to see a number posted tonight since the judges are seeing them 1 after the other. But-I still hold to my conclusion-it will all straighten out by Fri. in Indy.

3 minutes ago, denmum said:

I agree with you to an extent, but I would think even those 3 corps' would like to see a number posted tonight since the judges are seeing them 1 after the other. But-I still hold to my conclusion-it will all straighten out by Fri. in Indy.

I think all of those corps know that all that really matters is the score next Saturday night. I think the biggest disappointment for the MMs would be having one less opportunity to perform for an audience. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, brassboy said:

I think all of those corps know that all that really matters is the score next Saturday night. I think the biggest disappointment for the MMs would be having one less opportunity to perform for an audience. 

When it comes to next Sat. night-I think we found something we can definitely agree on. 

4 hours ago, brassboy said:

Except in terms of importance it IS treated as a regional, as it is used in part to determine prelims seeding and all World Class corps appear on one of the nights. The split I believe is purely logistical due to limitations of the facility/area. 

Yeah, i've never been a fan of it for that reason. Its always felt like those going on saturday have a slight edge in the seeding. Doesnt matter as much for those positions that are fairly locked in, but if you're talking tenths differentiating the prelims lineup, it has an impact.