DCI Eastern Classic – Friday, August 3, 2018

Short-term weather is starting to look a little better. Cloudy and dry at showtime, but the rain is expected to kick back in within the hour. The system moving through looks very spotty around eastern PA, so I'd expect at least one delay.

I'm using Weather Underground, BTW.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Den8uml said:

Everyone please stop using terrible apps for their weather that are just smoothed out data and trust the men and women of your local weather service office! 
Allentown weather: https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=40.60263000000003&lon=-75.47026999999997#.W2RcdVVKipp

More detailed regional discussion: https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=PHI&issuedby=PHI&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

WeatherBug uses NWS forecast for the first 7 days. (This is not an official endorsement, however.)

4 hours ago, dans said:

Where can I find a list of housing sites for the Allentown shows? Specifically SCV.

SCV is at Upper Moreland.  However, their rehearsals for the remainder of the season are now closed.  Something about adding to the show.  Hope we get to see something tonight!!

4 hours ago, mfrontz said:

Ray, people will come, Ray.

They'll come to Allentown for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll walk up that hill, not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at their seats as innocent as children, longing for the past... They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it. For it is money they have and peace they lack... The memories will be so thick, they'll have to brush them away from their faces.

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been Allentown.

Drum corps has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But Allentown has marked the time.

fieldofdreams9.jpg

This field, this show -- it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good, and it could be again.

Ohhhhhhhh, people will come, Ray. People will most definitely come.

So poetic... should be published in the annals of drum corps lore.

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Short-term weather is starting to look a little better. Cloudy and dry at showtime, but the rain is expected to kick back in within the hour. The system moving through looks very spotty around eastern PA, so I'd expect at least one delay.

I hit a major thunderstorm and downpour when I crossed the NJ/Pennsylvania line. Skies look ok now. 

I forgot my raincoat at home and am buying one just in case, so the rain will hold off--Murphy's Law!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

UPDATE:

It looks like the weather will be OK through at least 9:15pm. Provided the show stays on schedule, after Blue Stars perform is when the weather may take a turn for the worst. I'm not too optimistic about the chances of seeing our current top 3 perform tonight. Otherwise, expect cloudy conditions for most of the show.

10 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I hit a major thunderstorm and downpour when I crossed the NJ/Pennsylvania line. Skies look ok now. 

I forgot my raincoat at home and am buying one just in case, so the rain will hold off--Murphy's Law!

That will work, Tim.  I stopped and bought a poncho for Mason.  Didn’t rain a drop. 

• Haha 1

The weather.com forecast is improving. On the hourly radar it's now showing thunderstorms in the 10 o'clock hour instead of 9 o'clock. The radar map also doesn't have any storms over Allentown until the show is over.

Good luck to the corps tonight! At least for me, this is the lineup that I am anticipating to see out of the 2 day event.