DCI Eastern Classic – Friday, August 3, 2018

3 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I was driving back to my hotel and there was a major downpour and seeing the cars in front of me was difficult. This was about 20 minutes after leaving the stadium. There was another downpour about ten minutes later. The show would have been still in progress if it had not been cancelled. There were also a few small puddles on the field. 

We had that crazy rain Tuesday.  

1 hour ago, dcikon2 said:

I realize Met Life Stadium has been brought up about the possibility of hosting a regional.  Is the area around the stadium (30-mile radius) safe for corps to stay?  Are there enough schools in the area that would be willing to host schools?

A few things regarding Met Life Stadium. 

It must be far less expensive to rent the stadium in Allentown for two nights than Met Life. Allentown is well attended and the crowd is enthusiastic, but the venue is not sold out. The good seats are, but there are plenty of open spots. I don’t think Met Life Stadium  would be filled, certainly not the way San Antonio and Atlanta are.

15 minutes ago, Tim K said:

A few things regarding Met Life Stadium. 

It must be far less expensive to rent the stadium in Allentown for two nights than Met Life. Allentown is well attended and the crowd is enthusiastic, but the venue is not sold out. The good seats are, but there are plenty of open spots. I don’t think Met Life Stadium  would be filled, certainly not the way San Antonio and Atlanta are.

Have to wonder how much of that is because of the show being on 2 nights (and 2 separate tickets) vs other regionals. A little harder than just flying in friday night\sat morning and coming to the show saturday. Combine that with the rain risk that isn't there at other regionals and it becomes difficult for some to pull the trigger on.

Edited by AlexL

1 hour ago, MelloNell said:

Does anyone know how many times Allentown has been rained out?

The early season shoe at Allentown was rained out last year.

There’s certainly a lot of history at Allentown, but there are a lot of reasons to look for a more appropriate venue.  Aside from the rainouts - housing is super- problematic, parking for the corps is horrid / really long walks, small-ish seating area.

Has DCI ever seriously considered moving this regional?

7 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

That’s the show I’m seriously jealous that I’m not at. 

I don't know that it would be comfortable for you, you might end up balancing on one butt cheek again. But what a lineup. I can't wait!!!

• Haha 1

Just now, AlexL said:

Have to wonder how much of that is because of the show being on 2 nights (and 2 separate tickets) vs other regionals. A little harder to just fly in friday night\sat morning and come to the show saturday. Combine that with the rain risk that isn't there at other regionals and it becomes difficult for some to pull the trigger on.

Exactly.  And for all the feel goods of Allentown,  San Antonio and Atlanta offer more  tourist opportunities for my four days. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WaxDCIFan said:

The early season shoe at Allentown was rained out last year.

There’s certainly a lot of history at Allentown, but there are a lot of reasons to look for a more appropriate venue.  Aside from the rainouts - housing is super- problematic, parking for the corps is horrid / really long walks, small-ish seating area.

Has DCI ever seriously considered moving this regional?

I'm sure they've thought about it. But honestly, rainouts would be a threat anywhere on the East Coast. There are no domes anywhere close to the major cities. Syracuse is way out of the way, and the Carrier Dome is terrible as has been described. Finally, I've paid Meadowlands prices for DCI. Never again.

At the hotel dried off. Much as I wanted to see everyone it was the right call. Another 20 minutes and it would have been a monsoon. Standing water on Hamilton trying to get out of there

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1