DCI Eastern Classic – Friday, August 3, 2018

9 hours ago, 27Socal said:

Yes.  In the future, build it into the schedule.  People spend a lot of money to go to this show.  I think in the early days there were rain dates for the next day for some shows.  It was printed on the ticket.  If it's going to be in a non dome stadium,  put some of the risk onto DCI, not all of it on the ticket payers.  If there is no rain,  those corps can have a practice day.  If can't get enough schools for housing, move the show.  The Allentown area chambers of commerce might have something to say about that to the mayor and city council, to get the schools to house all the corps.

Dan Acheson is good

Dan Acheson is omnipotent

Bad things happen

Therefore, there is no Dan Acheson.

21 minutes ago, xandandl said:

It took me 5 and a half hours to drive down from Rhode Island yesterday due to the facing rain/thunder/lightning/flooding and usual weekend traffic at the bridges, etc.

When I arrived at JBC, it was time for intermission. What struck me was that the street below the stadium was already empty of all 18 wheelers. Where were the next 6 corps to perform?

I saw lightning in the Western skies and was not surprised by the announcement about Mandarins would be in exhibition. But I believe the show had been called well before the intermission for where were those next 5 corps after the Mandarins?  Please be honest in your announcements DCI. The people aren't stupid

It’s interesting you say that. I didn’t see busses or equipment trucks either, but I spoke with some kids who marched with Bluecoats at the Sunoco station who were angry about the call. Maybe they arrived in a separate van, or maybe they sold me a bill of goods. However, you do have a point about no convoys. Last year on Friday night I arrived pretty close to showtime and the later performers were arriving at the same time. 

BD's souvenir booth and product got destroyed in the storm last night. They're assessing the damage now, hope they can get replacements in less than a week. Wonder if there were other groups that had similar issues.

• Sad 4

27 minutes ago, Tim K said:

The people aren't stupid

Please don't give away our secrets. Let dci live in their bliss 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, 27Socal said:

Yes.  In the future, build it into the schedule.  People spend a lot of money to go to this show.  I think in the early days there were rain dates for the next day for some shows.  It was printed on the ticket.  If it's going to be in a non dome stadium,  put some of the risk onto DCI, not all of it on the ticket payers.  If there is no rain,  those corps can have a practice day.  If can't get enough schools for housing, move the show.  The Allentown area chambers of commerce might have something to say about that to the mayor and city council, to get the schools to house all the corps.

This is one of the cheaper shows. C'mon now, you want a raincheck date? You can't be serious. It would never work logistically with the corps. Housing is already problematic in many situations. This is first rainout I recall over decades comimg here.

While I think some sort of rain insurance would be  nice, it would probably not be practical to show promoter who would already be taking a loss. That said, this show is promoted by DCI.

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Liahona said:

This is one of the cheaper shows. C'mon now, you want a raincheck date?

Maybe a modern-day rain check needs to be nothing more than additional Sunday show on FLO where folks from the rain out just scan their ticket stubs and receive the show for free.  Ticket stub scanning is already happening when show attendees scan their tickets to view reruns of the show they attended. If not an additional show let them at least view quarterfinals for free. An olive branch is always welcome even if it's not 100% effective same as not everyone can attend the rain check show the next day.

• Thanks 1