DCI Eastern Classic – Friday, August 3, 2018

14 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

Assuming The weather is better tomorrow, I think DCI should institute a Rain Date.

Have the corps who did not compete tonight, do so Saturday afternoon. Ticket holders would be happy. 

Some are already on the road to their next destination 

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

Assuming The weather is better tomorrow, I think DCI should institute a Rain Date.

Have the corps who did not compete tonight, do so Saturday afternoon. Ticket holders would be happy. 

Yes.  In the future, build it into the schedule.  People spend a lot of money to go to this show.  I think in the early days there were rain dates for the next day for some shows.  It was printed on the ticket.  If it's going to be in a non dome stadium,  put some of the risk onto DCI, not all of it on the ticket payers.  If there is no rain,  those corps can have a practice day.  If can't get enough schools for housing, move the show.  The Allentown area chambers of commerce might have something to say about that to the mayor and city council, to get the schools to house all the corps.

4 hours ago, MelloNell said:

Does anyone know how many times Allentown has been rained out?

1986 was rained out and ended up being a standstill. I was 16 years old and bummed that I wasn't going to see the Blue Devils perform their show live. 

I felt the same way leaving the stadium tonight - I wouldn't be able to see 2018 SCV live.  

Edited by Yorkvillain

DCI has a committee that has been exploring a new tour model for a couple of years.   Don't know when it is to be brought to the membership for approval.   Could be implemented in 2020?   Allentown will definitely be impacted.       

5 hours ago, hardcorpscadets said:

I believe the Bluecoats are on their way to a 8:00 am parade in Canton for Hall of Fame

At the souvenir booth, they said the were heading to Buffalo immediately after the show.

8 hours ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

If only DCI would actually move west.  Rainouts don’t happen in California in the summer.   

West coast is the best coast.  

There are folks in CA who would kill to have Allentown's weather right now. 

• Like 4

It took me 5 and a half hours to drive down from Rhode Island yesterday due to the facing rain/thunder/lightning/flooding and usual weekend traffic at the bridges, etc.

When I arrived at JBC, it was time for intermission. What struck me was that the street below the stadium was already empty of all 18 wheelers. Where were the next 6 corps to perform?

I saw lightning in the Western skies and was not surprised by the announcement about Mandarins would be in exhibition. But I believe the show had been called well before the intermission for where were those next 5 corps after the Mandarins?  Please be honest in your announcements DCI. The people aren't stupid