DCI Eastern Classic – Saturday, August 4, 2018

13 minutes ago, Beckham said:

Someone should used Arnold Schoenberg on the field again. I think Phantom Regiment 2000 is the only time?

That was pre-atonality/12-tone Schoenberg.

Stuff from that school of composers such as Webern, Berg, Babbitt, etc. would be interesting to hear on the field. This, for one, would make a cool percussion feature:

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, fanman said:

I’m guessing he’ll be going on a “pre-planned vacation” during finals next week :) 

Sometimes, when I hear stuff like that, I have to ask myself..are we going backwards?  I marched in the ‘70’s,  the guys I marched with treated me with nothing but respect and as an equal.  And my work ethic was never in question. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

Sometimes, when I hear stuff like that, I have to ask myself..are we going backwards?  I marched in the ‘70’s and the guys I marched with treated me with nothing but respect and as an equal.  And my work ethic was never in question. 

women in drum corps are undoubtedly some of the strongest and most amazing there are, I'll never give anything but the utmost respect to every single one

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Sometimes, when I hear stuff like that, I have to ask myself..are we going backwards?  I marched in the ‘70’s,  the guys I marched with treated me with nothing but respect and as an equal.  And my work ethic was never in question. 

I heard similar things said in my year by a staff member. Said (in the men's showers) he didn't see why Cavies and Madison weren't winning every year because they should be able to rehearse harder.

but on a livestream and in 2018...that's just incredibly thoughtless bad judgment, not to mention wrong.

Ugh.

Edited by mfrontz
  • Like 4

56 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

They rightfully should be afraid of copyright trolls, who are leveraging copyright laws to their advantage 

Copyrights and drum corps is an intriguing subject for me. Never heard the term copyright trolls? My music collection has been vastly enlarged because of ever expanding jandra's that I would have never explored w/o drum corp. Never disliked an artist because of drum corps it's only been positive for the artists. Once upon a time large boomboxes accompanied me to a show. Since then for years been hearing the same copyright concern blasted from the PA (know it's required). Anything I taped in the past at drum corps were trashed as soon as the real deal became available. Seems to be a losing proposition and getting worse maybe block chain will fix that soon.

Edited by Bluzes
typo

29 minutes ago, quijeros said:

I agree. One of my favorite shows no one remembers is Blue Knights 2002. They did the last movement of the Barber Piano Concerto as their closer and it's ferocious.

Agree. I'd love to see SCV's brass line tackle it.

• Like 1

A congratulations to Crowns Percussion staff and performers, a 9.6 in content and a 9.5 in achievement for a 19.1 in percussion.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

The affront this Flo person said toward females in the activity was in poor taste, and while not condoning his extemporaneous comment I see this becoming the next "tar and feathering" to vindicate all the victims of past indiscretions Jesus save me from your followers... 

• Like 1