DCI Eastern Classic – Saturday, August 4, 2018

22 minutes ago, tedrick said:

does anyone know who the flo show panelists are? The woman is vaguely familiar... time keeper? judge?

The guy is Jeremy Hunt. Drill writer for Colts, Phantom, and several other corps and bands over the past handful of years.

Z

Just got back to my hotel. My phone battery died so I couldn’t comment after intermission. 

Academy: I’ve been waiting for a coros to do Academic Festival Overyire for years. Great job.

Crossmen: in Lawrence, their musical performance was uneven, especially Tchaikovsky’s 6th, which seems to be a frequent criticism. Tonight I felt it was pretty strong, however while the vocal soloist was good tonight, I’m thinking he could be hit or miss.

Blue Knights: I don’t get a Blue Knights feel to their show, but I felt it was a good show. I don’t see it higher than 8th

Cadets: dpshould be pleased with tonight’s run and the audience support. Breaking 90 dorsn’t Hurt either. The guard has gotten stronger and more active as the season has progressed.

Cavies: I like the way the color gets revealed, it is a strong show, bit it will be interesting to see if there is a back and forth with BAC or whether it will be a solid 6th place finish.

Boston Crusaders: it was great tonight but I also think the best is yet to come. I felt the brass was extremely powerful tonight and the ending went smoothly. 

Crown: this show has developed well. I was not impressed earlier in the season, or at least not as impressed as I usually  am with Crown because it doesn’t have the spark, though I am not someone who expected them to place 6th. There are some incredible brass moments that are Crown specialties. Things will be interesting next week.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

I’m ensconced in my hotel after a full night of great drum corps.

Top to bottom, there’s something to appreciate in every corps’ show.  What a year  

There was a discussion recently about non-responsive crowds.  That’s not the case where I sat in Section Q.  People applauded for every corps.  The only negative I saw was how the occupants of some seats in my row only showed up for their corps and left after that corps finished.

I think I will enjoy semis the most this year. There are some really good corps that won't be in finals and deserve to be seen and heard. 

Last, I’ll say, “Cavies or Boston?  Do we really have to choose?  They are both very entertaining.”

Section J was pretty enthusiastic. Filled with Cadet alums and BAC alums. I saw more young people this evening, which always adds to the enthusiasm.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Section J was pretty enthusiastic. Filled with Cadet alums and BAC alums. I saw more young people this evening, which always adds to the enthusiasm.

Yes, there was a group of young people in front of me who were a hoot. 

• Like 1

Allentown thoughts:

Crossmen came across so much better live than when I have seen them on Flo. BK hornline and horn book was a gem! 
Cadets are the most improved corps of the season, very strong show tonight and the crowd loved it..
Cavs have a great hornline and first half of the show is great. The closer with the singing is a dud and kills the show.
Boston was great and have the best continuity of any show this year. Solid 5th and aim for Crown next year.
Crowns percussion is awesome and was the strongest section of the night and Crowns horns, well they are Crowns horns.
Saw BD live at rehearsal yesterday and they are firing on all cylinders. Bloo will have their hands full battling them for silver.

• Like 1

I was at the show....high seats.  Cadets' visual design and execution are far superior to the Cavies. Better design, better execution, and and a pleasure to watch.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Will be interesting if any corps gets a score that *would* have moved them up.

Well that happened, didn't it.

2 hours ago, ZachDrumCorps said:

Basically the guy on the panel, didn't catch the name, said that as an all male corps, the Cavaliers have something up their sleeve for finals week because the fact that they're all male means the staff can push them harder than normal

Well, a dumb comment for which he should apologize, but that ought to be enough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1