DCI Eastern Classic – Saturday, August 4, 2018

1 hour ago, MikeZ said:

The guy is Jeremy Hunt. Drill writer for Colts, Phantom, and several other corps and bands over the past handful of years.

Z

He’s the guy that said Sylvester created the Z pull??

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Den8uml said:

Cadets broke  90! What a home town advanatage tonight 

More than that. The corps was ####### en fuego 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Musicman1084 said:

Brings up a good point that I’ve never quite understood. With all the visuals in shows nowadays, why do most snare lines only carry around one spare stick vs a set?

That was probably his 2nd dropped stick,  if his own spare  stick was already gone.

30 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Did the Z pull stand for Zingali?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

maybe he thought it was Zsylvester

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

Getting a play-by-play?

We had several interesting conversations...too tired right now to mention...besides not really for public consumption...just got home...

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jasgre2000 said:

It would be really easy to get the appropriate licenses to allow archiving current shows.  Just require corps (or DCI if that is who is responsible for licensing) to get sync licenses along with all the other licenses they currently have to get for their shows.  I get that getting the appropriate licensing for past years is a much more difficult task, but there is no excuse for the unavailability of shows within the last 5-10 years.  Sync licenses have been around for as long as there has been music on TV and in movies.  This isn't rocket science.

So which is it?

17 hours ago, jasgre2000 said:

It would be really easy to get the appropriate licenses to allow archiving current shows.  Just require corps (or DCI if that is who is responsible for licensing) to get sync licenses along with all the other licenses they currently have to get for their shows.  I get that getting the appropriate licensing for past years is a much more difficult task, but there is no excuse for the unavailability of shows within the last 5-10 years.  Sync licenses have been around for as long as there has been music on TV and in movies.  This isn't rocket science.

Why do we rehash this same topic every year?

The Corps are NOT responsible for sync licenses since they do not put out the product requiring one. For their performances, they only need arranging and performing licenses which are somewhat easier to get than sync. (Heck -- in college we got a letter from a publisher begging us to put their song in one of our halftimes, with no fees required, which we did as it fit one of our shows.)

As I understand it, the copyright holder(s) (usually the publisher) grants arranging and performing rights, but the artists themselves can veto sync rights which apparently some have in the past. They don't need any reason to say no.

I didn't mention mechanical rights which are for audio only. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, jasgre2000 said:

I don’t think the problem for DCI is obtaining sync licenses...it’s the COST of the MANY sync licenses they would need to get.  I don’t think they have the budget to pay for archiving the current shows.  If they could afford it, it would be available.

• Thanks 1