DCI Eastern Classic – Saturday, August 4, 2018

1 hour ago, DeanInChicago said:

Top Row, Section Q.

1bAeJAY.jpg

posted from the DrumScorps app

Nice picture.

It shows how people towards the aisle were taking up a bit more then one seat,including the 

stadium chairs.

These are the people I referenced in my post about not wanting to "shift","squeeze" so everyone could

sit.

We were in seats 12 and 13.I had to stand behind  my wife. 

The people in seats 14 and 15 were so squeezed that the husband stood.His wife gave up

after a couple of corps and left.

I made it through BAC.But my back was hurting so much from standing we left 

before Crown.

We've been coming to Allentown for years.

We always try to get row 19.

This was the first time we ever had this kind of problem.

Usually everybody just squeezes in.

Not this time.

Edited by rpbobcat

I was in row 17 of section Q, just a few rows in front of you. I heard the repeated requests for people to please sit in their assigned seats. It's a shame those towards seats 1-8 didn't cooperate (as is evident in the photo above). Their stadium seats were wider than one assigned seat for sure. 

It's Allentown...J. Birney Crum is known for its...coziness. It's what makes DCI East so unique and it's part of the experience! People really need to just accept that they're not at home in their own personal recliners. (A gentleman the row in front of us kept turning around asking people not to put their knee in his back, when he in fact was reclining back into the row behind him :hmmm:)

5 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

Nice picture.

It shows how people towards the aisle were taking up a bit more then one seat,including the 

stadium chairs.

These are the people I referenced in my post about not wanting to "shift","squeeze" so everyone could

sit.

We were in seats 12 and 13.I had to stand behind  my wife. 

The people in seats 14 and 15 were so squeezed that the husband stood.His wife gave up

after a couple of corps and left.

I made it through BAC.But my back was hurting so much from standing we left 

before Crown.

We've been coming to Allentown for years.

We always try to get row 19.

This was the first time we ever had this kind of problem.

Usually everybody just squeezes in.

Not this time.

I was seated in row 9 below you where we experienced the same problem.

Not only did 3 extremely matronly obese women of color take up 2 seats each, 1 of whom arrived late and all who talked incessantly about their church politics during every corps, but when people reminded them of proper DCI spectator protocol we were dressed down as white men of privilege not respecting what they had suffered.  I ended up sitting 3 rows back in empty seats both to enjoy the show and defuse the situation. We were the end of the Cadets block of seating and the three women were determined that the corps should suffer because of GH. It didn't matter whether we called Security or Jesus they said. They were not moving or being quiet. You should have only heard their quite loud negative comments when Cavaliers guard donned the skirts. Fans of homosexuals they were not.  Not a good experience at all. Why did these Philadelphia women shell out $45 tickets a piece? Something else was afoot.

Edited by xandandl

On 8/6/2018 at 7:29 AM, CrownBariDad said:

There is no logical reason for the Corps to take on additional responsibility and expense for a secondary product.  And just how many Corps Directors would vote for this?  Somewhere south of zero.

If you want to get something done in this area, put pressure on the publishers and artists to make their music more available to non-profit organizations such as DCI. 

Are you being serious? There's all the reason in the world.  More fans. More revenue. Why would they not do this?

On 8/6/2018 at 11:47 AM, Cappybara said:

I'm assuming your beliefs also include that money grows on trees?

You do realize that they can charge people to access the archives, right?  Money doesn't grow on trees, but selling access to videos of past shows could be quite lucrative.  Why do you think everyone else in the freaking world does it?

38 minutes ago, jasgre2000 said:

Are you being serious? There's all the reason in the world.  More fans. More revenue. Why would they not do this?

I'm TOTALLY serious. Do you know the real mission of Drum Corps?  It's NOT to sell DVDs and souvies. It's to educate young people thru musical performance.

After hiring staff to manage licensing, paying for licensing, paying to master DVDs, duplication, shipping, and overhead, how much profit would be left?  Slim to none in my experience. 

The is no experience quite like A-town. I was first at 1980 East and that is still the most exciting show I have ever been to.