NightBEAT - July 29, 2018

4 minutes ago, whitedj2002 said:

Pushing them is hardly respite...and indirectly it contributes to every caption they are dominating. 

Meant that there is no rest for the MMs, no in show water breaks for them just a total performance the entire show. I look at it as a form of intelligent design that down the road MMs would ask their staffs for maximum face time with the audience. Pushing design so that if you don't provide that it costs you, just my take not picking winners or losers.

3 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Exactly. I've said it from DAY 1 - if you aren't beating BD head-to-head you're not Number 1. It's that simple. Until you beat BD, undefeated or not, you're not Number 1.

Just a reminder that Bluecoats did in fact beat Blue Devils head-to-head once this season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

Honestly, this post is awesome to see right now. Why bother getting all bent out of shape when it comes to the scoring, which you have no control of anyways, and just enjoy the show. 

I never laughed harder than when I read that people gamble on drum corps scores.  Imagine putting your hard earned on that?  Bwahaha! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Since you acknowledge formerly having a bias against BD, you probably can understand how others right now (1) might not like their show as much as some others; (2) genuinely feel that their opinion reflects an honest assessment; and (3) are unlikely to be shaken from their beliefs by questions like "What are you smoking?"

Or was it responses like that which got you to change your mind?

Fair enough. I was definitely there - for years - not understanding why BD was scoring so well and winning all the time. I don't know, something changed last year, and I somehow finally got it. But yes, I had an enormous anti-BD bias for years - 2009, 2012, 2014 (I thought that score was absurd) and 2015 were rough. I don't like that they win all the time, but I certainly now understand why they score so well.

8 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Eh, the judges aren't qualified either.

For instance, there's nobody judging who has degree in General Effect.

But the judges are offering specific comments to the corps. Respondents here claiming that Bloo has the most G.E. are not.

Does one need a degree in something to be qualified? I don't think electricians have a degree in that sort of work either, they have proper training though. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Since you acknowledge formerly having a bias against BD, you probably can understand how others right now (1) might not like their show as much as some others; (2) genuinely feel that their opinion reflects an honest assessment; and (3) are unlikely to be shaken from their beliefs by questions like "What are you smoking?"

Or was it responses like that which got you to change your mind?

Sometimes being "Switzerland" isn't satisfying! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

I’m putting this on the staff. Nothing with the members. The members are why this thing even has the slightest chance. The show design was not developed or layered properly. It succeed early in the season because the other corps had their flaws. Now that the others have made their changes this show has stayed stagnant. They say third time is a charm but maybe some changes need to be made during the off season.

Still time to add visual elements, but....there’s a widening gap between the Cavies and top 5. 

Really loved how BAC has added to their show. Maybe Cavies have something in store to counter...

Edited by PCEP00

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

Just a reminder that Bluecoats did in fact beat Blue Devils head-to-head once this season.

Yes, I know that. But it was after BD had beaten them. I think people really thought Bluecoats were in the driver's seat because they were undefeated. The lesson is - unless you are beating BD head-to-head, then it's best to assume you are behind them. 

• Like 2

On to Centerville for Bloo.  This was the first time all year their score has gone down, but that's DCI.  They've had 53 GE judges who really liked them and thought they were top 3 against the field thus far and 1 tonight who didn't.  Oh well.

Congrats to SCV and BD and to Crown.  Looking forward to seeing them all meet up with Bloo again.

The work never stops!

• Like 2