Backup Plan for TOC Chester?

4 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Went to the Chester show in 2014... great venue. 

The only downside is that the surrounding city of Chester is not exactly Chamber of Commerce territory.  :tongue:

Jim had to go to do a pre bid walk down in Chester a few years ago.  The locals told him to not stop the car for anything...stoplights, signs...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

When money can't be returned or rain dates

Think the corps had more latitude to hold the show the next day. A lot easier though when a rainout Saturday resulted in a Sunday afternoon show and everyone could get back to work on Monday. Most of the junior MMs had jobs drum corps was just an obsessive, abusive, controlling, time-consuming hobby. Once was tied up at work, missed the bus to Bridgeport and frantically hitchhiked, made it just in time or my head would have rolled. Of course, even then there were rainouts.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Jim had to go to do a pre bid walk down in Chester a few years ago.  The locals told him to not stop the car for anything...stoplights, signs...

Good advice.  LOL. 

Depending on the time of day, I follow the same rules sometimes in parts of Baltimore.  Better the potential traffic ticket than the carjacking. :laughing:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Think the corps had more latitude to hold the show the next day. A lot easier though when a rainout Saturday resulted in a Sunday afternoon show and everyone could get back to work on Monday. Most of the junior MMs had jobs drum corps was just an obsessive, abusive, controlling, time-consuming hobby. Once was tied up at work, missed the bus to Bridgeport and frantically hitchhiked, made it just in time or my head would have rolled. Of course, even then there were rainouts.

Oh, you could never do rain dates today. You can hardly do any retreats anymore and I think encores will be a thing of the past soon. Corps are off to another location often before the show even ends. Very different world today and not just for drum corps.

But I do know the money loss is stopping many from going to shows till the last minute or saving it for an indoor location.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Just now, GUARDLING said:

Very different world today and not just for drum corps.

Love the encore but would satisfice if it made it easier on the corps. But the Trooper Drum Major in retreat boy does that slow things down. 

2 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

I can't tell you how many people I know have waited( on weather) to buy tickets, especially a family. When money can't be returned or rain dates like wayyyyyyyy back in the day, (those were funny) for a family to chalk up hundreds as a donation and not see anything is not a good thing for many.

Oh man... remember those "rain dates"?

We had a Saturday show in Scranton one year... it rained, and they almost invoked the rain date for Sunday. Thankfully, they ended up making the Saturday gig an exhibition... because nobody in any of the corps wanted to be stuck overnight and do it all over again the next day.  LOL.

• Haha 1

Just now, Fran Haring said:

Oh man... remember those "rain dates"?

We had a Saturday show in Scranton one year... it rained, and they almost invoked the rain date for Sunday. Thankfully, they ended up making the Saturday gig an exhibition... because nobody in any of the corps wanted to be stuck overnight and do it all over again the next day.  LOL.

remember well....sad to say.....lol

• Haha 1

last year my family and i went to chester and we thought we would find something to eat outside of the stadium nearby but we were sadly mistaken... we ended up eating 15 dollar hot dogs in the stands lol. the area is a little sketchy to say the least but it was an awesome show. hopefully tomorrow night will clear up for us.

:biggrin:

On 7/30/2018 at 1:00 PM, George Dixon said:

highly doubt there's an indoor back up plan... there's nothing "indoors" in that sports complex :(

it's also natural turf