Number of Judged Events - Impact on Finals

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

I'm thinking winning medals, especially gold, is more important to most of the consistently top corps, than having some fans around the country not seeing them.

Then why bother with the shows at all.  So are you suggesting that taking the Gold is more important than entertaining the fans who support the activity with their hard earned dollars?  Thumbing your nose at the fans in order to make the judges happy isn't in the best interest of drum corps.  I understand that a few corps don't really need the revenue from doing shows, but most do.  Laws regarding different types of fundraising by non-profits vary from state to state and that makes for an uneven playing field.  Many states only allow bingo operations to be run by churches.  Luckily for Blue Devils California isn't one of them...... yet.  

2 hours ago, bluesman said:

Then why bother with the shows at all.  So are you suggesting that taking the Gold is more important than entertaining the fans who support the activity with their hard earned dollars?  Thumbing your nose at the fans in order to make the judges happy isn't in the best interest of drum corps.  I understand that a few corps don't really need the revenue from doing shows, but most do.  Laws regarding different types of fundraising by non-profits vary from state to state and that makes for an uneven playing field.  Many states only allow bingo operations to be run by churches.  Luckily for Blue Devils California isn't one of them...... yet.  

We don't know the reasons why BD has less shows than other top corps. I doubt they are thumbing their noses at the fans. They are actually being smart. If I were running a drum corps, and our budget would allow us to perform less shows, I would absoutely do it. Performing for an audience may perhaps be the most important thing, but rehearsal, rest, relaxation, free time, and the overall well being of the members is very important as well. You can't do it all. 

Edited by queenanne_1536

51 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

We don't know the reasons why BD has less shows than other top corps. I doubt they are thumbing their noses at the fans. They are actually being smart. If I were running a drum corps, and our budget would allow us to perform less shows, I would absoutely do it. Performing for an audience may perhaps be the most important thing, but rehearsal, rest, relaxation, free time, and the overall well being of the members is very important as well. You can't do it all. 

Of course having a well rested and healthy corps is important.  I didn't suggest that they weren't.  I was replying to a comment made by Ghost.  "I'm thinking winning medals, especially gold, is more important to most of the consistently top corps, than having some fans around the country not seeing them."  That comment does not mention anything about rest, relaxation, free time and the overall well being of it's members.  All of those things are made easier because of the financial situation of the corps.  We can't disregard or ignore that advantage.  

I'm not a Blue Devils hater by any means, but this is the 3rd time you have replied to a comment I've made about the corps so you apparently think I am.   I assure you my comments were not made with any anti-Devils sentiment intended.  

Another factor that has to be taken in consideration is the number of shows available. There are a lot of more shows in the East Coast and Midwest then there are on the West Coast.

I remember back in the 90s some corps tried to perform in many shows as they relied heavily on appearance fees. Those members looked exhausted and it showed in their performance.

1 hour ago, bluesman said:

Of course having a well rested and healthy corps is important.  I didn't suggest that they weren't.  I was replying to a comment made by Ghost.  "I'm thinking winning medals, especially gold, is more important to most of the consistently top corps, than having some fans around the country not seeing them."  That comment does not mention anything about rest, relaxation, free time and the overall well being of it's members.  All of those things are made easier because of the financial situation of the corps.  We can't disregard or ignore that advantage.  

I'm not a Blue Devils hater by any means, but this is the 3rd time you have replied to a comment I've made about the corps so you apparently think I am.   I assure you my comments were not made with any anti-Devils sentiment intended.  

I never for one second thought, nor do I think, you have anything against the Blue Devils. I'm sorry if I made you feel that way. I didn't think your comments were anti-BD at all, and I thought I understood where you were coming from. 

And, no, we cannot ignore that BD (and other corps) have a lot of advantageous, but they've worked for those advantages and made the right moves to get those advantages. But I think I understand where you going with that - that it is just an advantage, and at the end of the day it is.

Of course having top talent allows you to perhaps rehearse less. I'm not sure how much less they rehearse than other corps, or how much more other corps rehearse than them. I remember back in my day we'd hear stories of other corps practicing 6 hours a day. We never practiced more that 8 hours (thank God) but I still thought that was challenging. I never felt exhausted when I marched, but there were definitely days I wanted to rest and have a break. BD is smart to keep their members well rested. The advantage gives them the ability to not have to perform for money.

Does anyone know the approximate gate fees for this season?