What makes a good Blue Devils show?

BD holds 18 or 40% of all DCI titles.

A title show for BD definitely doesn't stand out with relative comparison to other BD shows so what makes a standout BD show? Or which BD shows seem special to you? (This is with relative comparison to other BD shows).

If BD doesn't win is it a down year for BD or just an outstanding year for another corps? 

Was 87-93 a down time for BD or a great time for the field? What about 05? (Only years BD hasn't medaled since 1974...and they were 3rd in the 87-93 period).

Edited by ThePlanets

1 minute ago, ThePlanets said:

A title show for BD definitely doesn't stand out with relative comparison to other BD shows so what makes a standout BD show? Or which BD shows seem special to you? (This is with relative comparison to other BD shows).

If BD doesn't win is it a down year for BD or just an outstanding year for another corps? 

Was 87-93 a down time for BD or a great time for the field? What about 05? (Only years BD hasn't medaled since 1974...and they were 3rd in the 87-93 period).

Great time for others. BD's down times would be the mother of all success for others. It's not just about how good a corps is BUT what others around them do...or don't

• Like 2

05 -- the last year that BD failed to medal ... IIRC, that was the year when they spent the summer touring Europe. They came back to the states a few weeks before finals.

The show itself was the Dance Derby of the Century ... basically a turn of the century dance marathon, except in reverse. I only saw it on TV. Looked like a fun show, but it was one of those times where I thought BD was being too clever for their own good. And I would imagine that with the international travel, they couldn't refine the show as much as they normally would.

Edited by Woochifer
  • Like 2

My favorite Devils show is '91, they came in 5th that year...   <shrug>

Still one of my favorite brass programs ever, and way ahead of it's time

Edited by Super Don-O
  • Like 3

Cabaret Voltaire and Felliniesque are very special BD shows in my mind because they transported you into an entirely different world. They both completely captured the essence of what they were trying to portray visually and matched it with the music in a way only the Blue Devils can (sound profile wise). 

Other BD championship shows were obviously great as well but I think those 2 shows in particular just did such a great job of capturing the concepts they were portraying.

I know Cabaret Voltaire was a very controversial show in many people’s minds, but I think it’s severely under appreciated because people became immediately turned off by the use of dissonance in the show. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, flammaster said:

it's the music. 91,98,96, 87 (sans opener) etc,

98 is one of my all time favorites 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThePlanets said:

I suppose a " special year " for BD in all those 18 titles won, would be seasons when they went undefeated.

The years that seem special to me would be those years that I enjoyed their show perhaps better than most BD shows. About half of my favorite BD shows they did not win that year ( about half, they did win that year ).  Ironically, Some years that they went undefeated were not  not only not one of my favorite BD shows, they were not one of my top 4 or 5 shows in that season.  BD is almost always excellent in performance talent and execution. Some seasons more than others. So its a matter of which ones I enjoyed the most that became special for me.

Which BD shows/ years are special for you. How do you personally define a " special " BD season ?

• Like 1

This right here, this make a good Blue Devil's show, LOL:

Scott Chandler Guard Program Coordinator - Choreographer
Dave Glyde Percussion Music Director and Arranger
Jay Murphy Visual Designer and Caption Head
Scott Johnson Percussion Arranger/Caption Head
Brian Dinkel Percussion Front Ensemble Arranger / Caption Head
Jim Wunderlich Percussion Music Consultant

John Meehan Brass Caption Head / Arranger
Edited by BostonLUck
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1