What makes a good Blue Devils show?

I think the shows that provoke an unexpected emotional response or moment of contemplation from the audiences are the shows that truly rise to the level of great from their, always customary, level of excellence. Especially in recent years, they have been on a tremendous roll with that.

1998: How WOULD Tony and Juliet interact if they met? How would their different styles and time periods clash? Would a mutual attraction bridge all that? Fascinating

2003: It just FELT "cool." And cool is something that is either there or it isn't. There is no set formula that can create it.

2012: Dada was about taking nonsense seriously, or not. So the show is taken seriously, or not. Norms for clothing, show transitions, program flow, all thrown out the window. Or was it just creating a new normal?

2014: What is the character with the walking difficulties thinking and why does the woman with the umbrella want to help him?

2015: The feels. All the feels.

2017: We're going to bring back the concert feature because we feel like it. And you will love it. And we'll make you thankful for the past and happy about the future.

2018: I think this one is about to join the others. The way they've reworked the closer made me stop and take a breath. Introducing the 1930 music adds such an emotional push and really celebrates the journey of the four characters. And then...ending the show by having all members turn and contemplate the painting they have just spent 11 minutes assembling is brilliant. The wide array of different poses...some stand, some embrace friends, some need space by themselves, beautifully illustrates how each individual sees something different in the painting - maybe it is reminding them of a location, or a departed family member, or a chance encounter they once had. 

As an artist, I've seen those sorts of reactions/expressions from people contemplating work all the time and BD is communicating it so, so clearly. Just excellent. The ending elevates, and in a way, justifies the entire show. That's how you define great.

• Like 8

To answer the main question 1. a fantastic horn line, 2. a smoking drumline, 3. a great guard and 4. apparently a lot of "park and bark" opportunities written into the show. folding chairs optional...

Don't know that BD is capable of not producing a good show. Amazingly consistent, top-shelf staff and member talent have guaranteed good shows. What makes a great BD show? The same thing as all great shows. When (in the eye of the beholder) the staff and members create an experience that keeps you positively engaged from beginning to end - and beyond. BD has the resources and know-how to potentially create great shows every year. Depending on the expectations and preferences of the beholder they always/never do, regardless of placement.

• Like 1

What makes a good Blue Devils show?

Any combination of:

La Fiesta

One More Time Chuck Corea

La Suerte de Los Tontos

Spanish Fantasy

Channel One Suite

Strawberry Soup

When a Man Loves a Woman

• Like 3

What makes a great Devils Show?

Why, it's the Devils Swagger - of course!  Also, loud.  It must be loud to be great.

I loved Metamorph SO very much.  It became one of my top five of all time.  It really got me to appreciate the inner workings, history, traditions, motifs that all make BD the amazing corps that it is.  Didn't hurt that I spent a face-melting afternoon watching a full ensemble rehearsal of that show.  I was able to key in on their process.  

• Like 3