Chester Tour of Champions - August 01, 2018

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

I'm not into conspiracy theories, or bias, so hats off to the Cadets Guard for topping Boston's Guard tonite. Never saw that coming in a million years... And it should motivate Boston's Guard at coming practices and shows down the stretch here. Boston's talented Guard is not accustomed to finishing 5th place in Guard. They are far, FAR, more talented than to be happy and to settle for 5th now. So I'm confident that this will motivate them here down the stretch to turn this around.,

You could say the same thing about every section of every corps at this late stage of the season.  They're all motivated to maxing out their shows.  I really hope that most of these kids have figured out by now that the judging is entirely subjective.  All they can do is perform their best, the rest of it doesn't really matter in the long run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

I guess you have to walk your percussion up to the front of the field and rattle through as many routines as possible in 30 seconds or your content just isn’t hard enough. 

i dont think thats it. Bloo is fun, but to me....and I love their musical choices...God Bless the Child is too reserved. It doesnt seem to flow like the other charts, and it sems ti should be so much more...leaving the ending feeling flatter than it could be

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluesman said:

Or have your brass stop and do a bunch of double/triple tonguing or maybe a bunch of runs.... whether they fit the rest of the show or not.  Notes=points.

Well, I'll most certainly take more steak with my baked potato if the hornlines are willing to give it.  Heh, I will NEVER ##### about a hornline having a lot of meat in their book.  More DIFFICULTY = MORE points..... 

21 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i dont think thats it. Bloo is fun, but to me....and I love their musical choices...God Bless the Child is too reserved. It doesnt seem to flow like the other charts, and it sems ti should be so much more...leaving the ending feeling flatter than it could be

I think that sometimes less is more.  The transition into God Bless the Child fades to complete silence.  When the soloist comes in there is nothing else happening. Then it becomes a trio and eventually the vocalist is added.  This entire section of the show builds from silence to very loud. The visual slowly builds and matches the music incredibly well.  They could add more to this section with an eye toward gaining a few extra tenths, but I hope they don't.  It is my favorite moment from any show this year and I would hate to have it ruined by adding a bunch of brass licks or drum breaks.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Liahona said:

fan just yelled at phantom staff for talking during show.... lol

the staff sarcasm response didnt go over well either... lol

posted from the DrumScorps app

I do not know who from the Regiment staff made nuisances of themselves among the audience tonight but you know who you are. On behalf of my corps, start showing some respect for the people who attend our shows and stop embarrassing our corps with your juvenile actions. We are trying to gather phans not turn them away.

When the day comes when the Regiment again is competitive for medals, we want the audience to rise and support us and not sit on their hands in silence because of memories generated by such disrespect.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, StarVoyager said:

Well, I'll most certainly take more steak with my baked potato if the hornlines are willing to give it.  Heh, I will NEVER ##### about a hornline having a lot of meat in their book.  More DIFFICULTY = MORE points..... 

But those things must fit the show design and should not be arbitrarily added.  Brass runs that come out of nowhere and interrupt the flow of the show can be impressive but not always welcomed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bluesman said:

But those things must fit the show design and should not be arbitrarily added.  Brass runs that come out of nowhere and interrupt the flow of the show can be impressive but not always welcomed.

Heh I can't really say that I've encountered any books in recent memory that I DIDN'T welcome it.  Did you not like it when Crown added a TON of notes in London Bridge last year?  Those notes were added and I really liked their interpretation.  To me, it didn't have to do with interrupting anything or it wasn't necessary etc. I just enjoyed it for the entertainment value and how POLISHED it was (and that's just one of many examples that come to mind).  :cool:

55 minutes ago, StarVoyager said:

Well, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ALL OF THAT CHOCOLATE!!!!! :thumbup:

Your '84 line was DEFINITELY no pushover.....but you could #### well push over every #### thing in your PATH LOL.....

AWESOME sound that year along with '87.....:cool:

Wow, thank you for the props! At the time it was the youngest corps GR had fielded to date (average age was barely 17) and a lot of the SCV “heavy vets” had taken the season off to march the Olympic Band in LA (my understanding is a lot of DC folks did the same.)  During Finals week the staff apologized to us for “under” writing the show and not giving us something much more difficult; Tim S. said it best: “Our goal was simply to change your diapers, send you guys out there and pray you’d take 5th. We are so sorry.” 

We weren’t all total DC rookies...we had 2nd year folks, guys from 2-7, MBBB, Noth Stah and VF, but in my view the real “quiet calming presence” were the three age-outs who were spending their 1st and only year in SCV after they’d marched 79-82 Guardsmen, and had followed Tim S from Gmen to SC. One was our DM (still the loudest IMO with vocal commands) and the other two were Frenchies. I mean, these were folks who had brought “Fanfare for the New” and “Tiger of San Pedro” to life back in ‘79, then fought their way back into Finals in ‘80 with their trademark ”Greensleeves”; their “street cred” was immeasurable and now they were *with us*— whoa! They were wonderful, humble, down to earth, were a wealth of experience in overcoming adversity and loved every minute they got to wear an Aussie. One of those aforementioned FH players posts regularly on this board and brings great perspective to DCP.  :angel1:

Mahalo Nui Loa...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tommynev said:

You could say the same thing about every section of every corps at this late stage of the season.  They're all motivated to maxing out their shows.  I really hope that most of these kids have figured out by now that the judging is entirely subjective.  All they can do is perform their best, the rest of it doesn't really matter in the long run.

Hats off to Carolina Crown's Guard here too. If we recall, 48 hours ago Crown had to take the unprecedented decision to remove themselves from the Monday Competition in Salem. Virginia due to a reported large outbreak of a stomach virus that incapacitated upwards of 25 in Carolina Crown's Guard. So bad they could neither compete, nor practice. The laws of physiology are not so subjective on stomach viruses. Those affected  that have vomit and/ or have diarrhea undergo a sapping of energy, stamina, dehydration. It generally takes 7 days minimum for a full recovery.. sometimes longer depending on the immune system, and the physical stresses put on the body. Crown pulled out of Mondays show because it was reported that upwards of 25 of their Guard came down with this stomach virus this weekend and into Monday. Remarkably, Carolina Crown's Guard went out here on Wednesday earlier nite with a full Guard, and performed courageously to within a mere single tenth of a point to a presumably 100% healthy 42 member Boston Crusaders Guard. Again, hats off for such remarkable resiliency on the part of Carolina Crown's Guard earlier tonite. 48 hours ago of sickness requiring withdrawal from a show competition seems like weeks ago now tonite. Good for them. Glad to hear everybody there is back to full health now. Thats the most important  thing too, of course,

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 7

15 minutes ago, TRacer said:

Wow, thank you for the props! At the time it was the youngest corps GR had fielded to date (average age was barely 17) and a lot of the SCV “heavy vets” had taken the season off to march the Olympic Band in LA (my understanding is a lot of DC folks did the same.)  During Finals week the staff apologized to us for “under” writing the show and not giving us something much more difficult; Tim S. said it best: “Our goal was simply to change your diapers, send you guys out there and pray you’d take 5th. We are so sorry.” 

We weren’t all total DC rookies...we had 2nd year folks, guys from 2-7, MBBB, Noth Stah and VF, but in my view the real “quiet calming presence” were the three age-outs who were spending their 1st and only year in SCV after they’d marched 79-82 Guardsmen, and had followed Tim S from Gmen to SC. One was our DM (still the loudest IMO with vocal commands) and the other two were Frenchies. I mean, these were folks who had brought “Fanfare for the New” and “Tiger of San Pedro” to life back in ‘79, then fought their way back into Finals in ‘80 with their trademark ”Greensleeves”; their “street cred” was immeasurable and now they were *with us*— whoa! They were wonderful, humble, down to earth, were a wealth of experience in overcoming adversity and loved every minute they got to wear an Aussie. One of those aforementioned FH players posts regularly on this board and brings great perspective to DCP.  :angel1:

Mahalo Nui Loa...

Wow, GREAT story.  Well you people were definitely NOT 5th lol.  Couldn't remember if Salzman was the caption head at that time or not lol.  :cool:

I would encourage EVERYONE on these boards to go listen to (at LEAST) the top 3 hornlines that year.  They ALL won high brass that night for a REASON people.....:thumbup:

• Like 1