Chester Tour of Champions - August 01, 2018

8 hours ago, 1956OPR said:

I do not know who from the Regiment staff made nuisances of themselves among the audience tonight but you know who you are. On behalf of my corps, start showing some respect for the people who attend our shows and stop embarrassing our corps with your juvenile actions. We are trying to gather phans not turn them away.

When the day comes when the Regiment again is competitive for medals, we want the audience to rise and support us and not sit on their hands in silence because of memories generated by such disrespect.

SCV’s staff got an earful too.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ediker said:

Is there an official difference to how TOC shows are judged?

Used to be; I don't think so anymore. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PamahoNow said:

We experienced the rudeness from staff from BAC at a show in Texas,  they found empty seats in front of us and were very vocal and annoying.  But there is a solution.  Staff watching a show should blend in with the crowd, applauding when the crowd does and keeping quiet when the crowd is quiet.  There is no reason why they must applaud and yell when minor (but perhaps what the were wanting to see) things happen.  And yes, it was the guard staff in front of us.  "nice catch, xxx!" and "YES" shouted 50 times during an 11 minute show is disruptive to the customers in the stand.  This is something the administration of ALL corps need to teach their educational staff.  Being polite to the paying customers will bring rewards.  Take notes all you want, but blend into the crowd.  

No, we did not push back at them.  We were polite, and they disappeared after BAC performed. 

Pioneer and Blue Stars have not been to New England in quite a while, so they are exempted, but outside of Allentown and Indy, I have seen each of the WC corps live, and have witnessed this kind of behavior many times. Since I usually get the best seats, I have often met staff and had great conversations, hear tidbits about corps, etc. I also see the self important folks who want everyone to know how significant they are. When it comes to rude folks, I sometimes notice names on credentials, and often times they are not the caption heads or top names, so it could be a “Big fish in a small pond” king of thing.

overall, I have only had one experience where a fan potentially ruined a performance for me. If you sat near section 140 last year in Indy, you probably remember him. He wasn’t staff, but he was a drum corps expert who knew it all, and when a certain corps entered the field, he got up on his seat, fist pumped like Arsenio Hall, and shouted Bloo.” Now before you say “that could have been me,” it was during Blue Knights’ performance.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, PamahoNow said:

We experienced the rudeness from staff from BAC at a show in Texas,  they found empty seats in front of us and were very vocal and annoying.  But there is a solution.  Staff watching a show should blend in with the crowd, applauding when the crowd does and keeping quiet when the crowd is quiet.  There is no reason why they must applaud and yell when minor (but perhaps what the were wanting to see) things happen.  And yes, it was the guard staff in front of us.  "nice catch, xxx!" and "YES" shouted 50 times during an 11 minute show is disruptive to the customers in the stand.  This is something the administration of ALL corps need to teach their educational staff.  Being polite to the paying customers will bring rewards.  Take notes all you want, but blend into the crowd.  

No, we did not push back at them.  We were polite, and they disappeared after BAC performed. 

These staff members pour their heart and soul into the members and the product on the field. This is an entertainment based activity where (gasp) the crowd may react and even stand up during a performance to acknowledge the performers on the field. I for one love to see these staff members reacting to their students when they perform. THIS is what this activity is all about. If you want to sit in a subdued environment to watch performance art might I suggest the theater or the symphony. Drum Corps is about raw emotion and you are getting to see it first hand. Maybe enjoy it instead of being grumpy all the time. Unless they are cussing and disrupting your view I guess I don't see the issue.

Fans seems to be so fickle. They want the raw emotion and excitement and then when it presents itself they are bothered by the fact someone may scream enthusiastically or stand and disrupt their experience. Maybe next time tell them "great run" when they leave. They will reward you with huge smiles like a parent watching their child walk for the first time. In other words....stop being a stick in the mud.  :)

• Thanks 2

i have found if you have issues with staff behavior at a show, contacting the corps director usually gets a prompt response. Once, the response wasn't pleasant, so I emailed DCI hq, and man was that email handled switftly

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spatzzz said:

These staff members pour their heart and soul into the members and the product on the field. This is an entertainment based activity where (gasp) the crowd may react and even stand up during a performance to acknowledge the performers on the field. I for one love to see these staff members reacting to their students when they perform. THIS is what this activity is all about. If you want to sit in a subdued environment to watch performance art might I suggest the theater or the symphony. Drum Corps is about raw emotion and you are getting to see it first hand. Maybe enjoy it instead of being grumpy all the time. Unless they are cussing and disrupting your view I guess I don't see the issue.

Fans seems to be so fickle. They want the raw emotion and excitement and then when it presents itself they are bothered by the fact someone may scream enthusiastically or stand and disrupt their experience. Maybe next time tell them "great run" when they leave. They will reward you with huge smiles like a parent watching their child walk for the first time. In other words....stop being a stick in the mud.  :)

i'm all for them cheering. it's chattering loudly to where you cant hear the corps is when I have an issue, and worse if you say something and they give you attitude.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'm all for them cheering. it's chattering loudly to where you cant hear the corps is when I have an issue, and worse if you say something and they give you attitude.

Sure. But we all know that type of activity is not limited to corps staffs. In fact I have had more shows ruined by clueless fans than staffs. If you want to chat loudly about the "good ole' days" during performances might I suggest relocating your conversation outside the stands please.

There's a video out there in the ether from SCV at Chester last night right down in the "blast" zone.  That is some seriously impressive sound from the brass and very aggressive snares...hair on my arms is standing up even with no hair there.

Edited by Sideways
  • Like 1