Chester Tour of Champions - August 01, 2018

4 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

You have pizzed off  most in the activity....lol   DUDE!:biggrin:

i try :biggrin:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Imo tarps are the one thing that has migrated from WGI almost solely because designers are spending two thirds of their year designing WGI shows. Tarps could go away entirely and DCI wouldn’t lose a thing. They are a distraction at best, both to fans and corps, and at worst they are a mine field waiting to explode in shows.

Any designer who forces kids to have to drag tarps around the field AND march over them should be pulled into an office and told to be a better designer. When I see corps setting up for their show and tarps being dragged out, I immediately begin to wonder if this will be the show where disaster happens. And the thing is, it always happens at least once during a season. 

Stop using tarps. Just stop.

I can give you at least 10 examples of disasters that can happen on a field, heads smashed by flying equipment. drill so fast by some that it injures etc etc, should we stop that? There are those who look at those things like it was the holy blueprint for drum corps.

Tarps have also been used in BOA for decades already not just WGI. Like with most things, they can be used and add so much or not used well and have no significant purpose. Kids also like the effect of many things on the field today. 

2 hours ago, E3D said:

That show is better without them. Their tarps are a distraction. Some poor soul has to struggle pulling the tarp on the 50 as if he is climbing the pyramid at Giza. 

They're not struggling to pull them (one of the guys is 6 foot 9 and an absolute hoss). It's part of the show.

1 hour ago, Bluzes said:

That was very kind of you. Finals in Denver had the row in front of us reserved like a revolving door for each staff. I knew I was in for a battle. After a while I warned them if they thought they were going to sit there and disturb the performance. I would go right down the same way they came up and complain to the director. They knew I meant business and played nice.

I wonder if DCI has ever considered setting aside an area in the stands for staffs to observe their corps?

Any show of a certain size (TOC, regionals, DCI) should set aside 10 to 20 seats somewhere accessible for the staffs to reach quickly and safely -- 

I realize this would reduce ticket sales by that amount - but either do this or make it clear to staffs that it is a privilege to bolt up and back down the 50 as high as you want and sit in the aisle - 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Imo tarps are the one thing that has migrated from WGI almost solely because designers are spending two thirds of their year designing WGI shows. Tarps could go away entirely and DCI wouldn’t lose a thing. They are a distraction at best, both to fans and corps, and at worst they are a mine field waiting to explode in shows.

Any designer who forces kids to have to drag tarps around the field AND march over them should be pulled into an office and told to be a better designer. When I see corps setting up for their show and tarps being dragged out, I immediately begin to wonder if this will be the show where disaster happens. And the thing is, it always happens at least once during a season. 

Stop using tarps. Just stop.

Tarps make great Slip-n-Slides!

Bloo’a Tilt tarp provided one of the season’s fun highlights for the members on a rainy day in 2014.  

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, tedrick said:

I wonder if DCI has ever considered setting aside an area in the stands for staffs to observe their corps?

Between the goal line and ten yard line.  They're not taking good seats and they will have fewer fans to upset.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tedrick said:

Any show of a certain size (TOC, regionals, DCI) should set aside 10 to 20 seats somewhere accessible for the staffs to reach quickly and safely -- 

I realize this would reduce ticket sales by that amount - but either do this or make it clear to staffs that it is a privilege to bolt up and back down the 50 as high as you want and sit in the aisle - 

How about at the bigger shows: Regionals and TOC's, the show sponsors or DCI,  set aside space up high or maybe in the press box if there is room; for the corps design team and director.  Maybe 6 people max., to view the performance.  The designers/writers/choreographers who look & listen to changes made and changes being considered.  Techs can view from down low.  The corps staff can designate a tech to replace a designer who may not want to go up high at a show.  But no matter what, limit staff going to primo seating areas.  They need to see the performance as much as the audience does.  And the audience should be able to watch without their "noise".  Lastly, maybe the corps sponsors can have ushers at the ready to remove, offending noisy staffers.  DCI could contribute in the winter meetings with a corps staff courtesy requirement when in the stands.  well there is my $.02. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tedrick said:

They do at LOS not the whole staff but above section 140 (on the 50) they allow maybe five or six of them to stand. Where they aren't in the way and communicate w/o disturbing the fans . A friend of ours volunteered at the show last year. He was thrilled to get the task of policing that area, staff only. Stood there all show.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

They can and are being used effectively this year. Boston is a prime example. Helps transform the field to a island setting, sets up the show conceptually before a single note is played. Is not in pathways of the performers. Bookends the show exceptionally well.

I don't understand people wanting to take tools out of the designers hands and stifling creativity. As with any design tool they can be used well or not well. Same can be said for brass and percussion writing. Should we remove those because some corps don't do a good job with them?

My problem with tarps is not that they are a distraction or unlikable innovation, but that they are a safety hazard to MMs, perhaps more than many designers realize. The Troopers last year had 15 giant circular tarps on the field, and I don't remember a single show where at least one member didn't trip and/or fall to the ground. You may have also seen the video that surfaced this week of the Blue Stars mello that took a dive after tripping on a mangled-up tarp used in their show this year.

Until someone figures out how to properly solve this dilemma (perhaps flat stages instead of tarps), we're going to keep having MMs tripping/falling in every other show where tarps are used extensively.

52 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

My problem with tarps is not that they are a distraction or unlikable innovation, but that they are a safety hazard to MMs, perhaps more than many designers realize. The Troopers last year had 15 giant circular tarps on the field, and I don't remember a single show where at least one member didn't trip and/or fall to the ground. You may have also seen the video that surfaced this week of the Blue Stars mello that took a dive after tripping on a mangled-up tarp used in their show this year.

Until someone figures out how to properly solve this dilemma (perhaps flat stages instead of tarps), we're going to keep having MMs tripping/falling in every other show where tarps are used extensively.

I get what you are saying, I really do. But don't throw the baby out with the bath water. As with any new toy it may take a bit for it to be used correctly. There are many other things that can cause injury other than tarps as someone pointed out. Just marching can cause repetitive stress injuries.

I will say that I think BS use of tarps is the most ineffective of the current crop.

Edited by Spatzzz