Buffalo (well, Orchard Park), NY - August 5, 2018

19 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

This is 100% not accurate. I'll just leave it at that. You were given incorrect information.

How to explain Crown winning music last year, then? The soloist's mic cut out for the entirety of her performance.

30 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

As most of us have found (Crown at Finals last season), an electronics malfunction, even a major one as severe as one that Crown had last season at Finals that botched the solos completely, has little to no effect at all on the scores of any corps that suffers this mistake in performance. It's apparently the only part of the show where judges are asked to pretend they heard the music, the solos, etc  played as INTENDED, not as actually PERFORMED  in competition.

Spatzzz says you're wrong about what was said in the meetings, but it is nonetheless good that you have noted how Crown was first in Music Analysis last year in Prelims, Semifinals, and Finals, despite having extended solo vocal passages being inaudible both Friday and Saturday due to microphone issues. Arguably they were punished for it at Semifinals, because their lead over the second place corps in that caption dropped from 0.5 on Thursday to 0.1 on Friday, but then how to explain that their lead grew to 0.2 on Saturday?

One hopes that other corps raised holy heck with the judges in the off-season about how Crown got away with that. But who knows?

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tommynev said:

How to explain Crown winning music last year, then? The soloist's mic cut out for the entirety of her performance.

The argument that Crown's most devoted supporters were making last year is that Crown was just that much better than the other corps in other musical aspects that the loss of a soloist for about one-third of the show was negligible.

24 minutes ago, Lead said:

No. All World Class corps are paid the same.

nope

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

This is 100% not accurate. I'll just leave it at that. You were given incorrect information.

If you care to explain to us here how electronic malfunctions are handled on the current judging sheets, than you can add credence to your response that I have " incorrect information " on how ( for example)  botched solos due to electronic malfunctions in show performances are to be handled by the DCI judges at the moment. If you can't, " I 'll leave it at that " and conclude that you're just unaware at the moment, and have simply not been provided this information.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The argument that Crown's most devoted supporters were making last year is that Crown was just that much better than the other corps in other musical aspects that the loss of a soloist for about one-third of the show was negligible.

straw man

10 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

If you care to explain to us here how completely botched solos due to complete electronic malfunctions are handled on the current judging sheets, than you can add credence to your response that I have " incorrect information " on how complete electronic malfunctions in show performances are to be handled by the DCI judges at the moment. If you can't, " I 'll leave it at that " that you are just unaware at the moment.

Issues with props, electronics or other parts of the design that fail for technical reasons are to be taken into consideration as part of the how sub-caption of the sheet. How much impact the issue has on the score is up to the individual judge sitting in the seat. For those asking for an explanation as to Crown last year you would need to speak to the individual judges in question.

Just now, Spatzzz said:

Issues with props, electronics or other parts of the design that fail for technical reasons are to be taken into consideration as part of the how sub-caption of the sheet. How much impact the issue has on the score is up to the individual judge sitting in the seat. For those asking for an explanation as to Crown last year you would need to speak to the individual judges in question.

I just went in a circle reading this post 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Thats a tough sell. This is not a Crown issue, per se either.  What if a Corps brass soloists botched their solos for " about one-third of the show". Would their scores either go up, or stay the same with no effect on their scores, ? .. as it could be said the Corps was " that much better in other musical aspects " in their performance ? . I don't think so. Thats an even harder sell, imo. And I 'm pretty sure the Blue Devils of '89 wished they had Finals Night " forgiveness " in botched brass solos, when electronic malfunctions excuses for such botched solo could not be utilized to offset any noticeable impact on a Corps scores in performance that night.