Allentown Differences Needed to Move Up for Prelims

The only corps that I think has a real chance of moving up to the next highest Prelims spot is Boston. Barring any unusual happenings at Allentown, everything else looks to be pretty much set, including the Top 15 for the Prelims cinecast.

1 hour ago, FaustianMachine said:

Santa Clara Vanguard: 0.000

Blue Devils: +1.775

Bluecoats: +0.775

Carolina Crown: +1.838

The Cavaliers: +3.275

Boston Crusaders: +0.108

The Cadets: +4.900

Blue Stars: +3.063

Blue Knights: +0.138

Phantom Regiment: +1.750

Mandarins: +1.650

Crossmen: +2.113

Spirit of Atlanta: +3.263

The Academy: +0.125

Colts: +3.075

Madison Scouts: 1.625

Troopers: +2.363

Pacific Crest: +5.663

Music City: +4.275

Oregon Crusaders: +1.613

Genesis: +3.538

Seattle Cascades: +5.100

Jersey Surf: +1.425

Pioneer: +9.200

1 hour ago, FaustianMachine said:

Sure thing!

For the higher placed group, I took the sum of the scores from San Antonio and Atlanta and added 100 to them to represent a perfect score at Allentown. Then I divided that by 3. Once I had that number, I did that for the group directly below them, except I added to the last score until my average came out to be the same as the first average.

Vanguard: (92.325+93.675+100)/3 = 95.333

BD: (90.975+93.250+101.775)/3 = 95.333

By this method, I find a number of 0.138 between Cavaliers and Boston

Cavaliers ( 88.413+89.925 +100)/3 = 92.779
BAC ( 88.250 + 89.950+100.138)/3 = 92.779

Either way...it's close. 

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

The only corps that I think has a real chance of moving up to the next highest Prelims spot is Boston. Barring any unusual happenings at Allentown, everything else looks to be pretty much set, including the Top 15 for the Prelims cinecast.

With  random draw in groups of three Boston could still be the sixth corps in prelims  regardless what they score in Allentown.  The real question at Allentown is there any corps that move up to the next group?  No.   Groups of three appear to be set.  If Spirit draws 15th for prelims they will need a supper performance on Thursday and Friday to make finals.  It can be done.

Edited by dcifanforlife
more info

9 minutes ago, dcifanforlife said:

With  random draw in groups of three Boston could still be the sixth corps in prelims  regardless what they score in Allentown.  The real question at Allentown is there any corps that move up to the next group?  Spirit maybe.   Groups of three appear to be set.

DCI Prelims is not drawn in groups of three. It goes in exact reverse order of the average scores of the 3 major regionals. Therefore, if Boston beats the Cavaliers by at least 0.138 Saturday night, they will perform in the 5th-place slot at Prelims.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, FaustianMachine said:

Santa Clara Vanguard: 0.000

Blue Devils: +1.775

Bluecoats: +0.775

Carolina Crown: +1.838

The Cavaliers: +3.275

Boston Crusaders: +0.138

The Cadets: +4.900

Blue Stars: +3.063

Blue Knights: +0.138

Phantom Regiment: +1.750

Mandarins: +1.650

Crossmen: +2.113

Spirit of Atlanta: +3.263

The Academy: +0.125

Colts: +3.075

Madison Scouts: 1.625

Troopers: +2.363

Pacific Crest: +5.663

Music City: +4.275

Oregon Crusaders: +1.613

Genesis: +3.538

Seattle Cascades: +5.100

Jersey Surf: +1.425

Pioneer: +9.200

Interesting.  The corps may just as well just perform in exhibition.  The only placement suspense is between Cavies-BAC and Academy and Spirit. Everyone else is pretty much cemented in where they are.

There is absolutely no suspense in the standings this year and we can’t even blame BD for it!  What’s DCI coming to?

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Interesting.  The corps may just as well just perform in exhibition.  The only placement suspense is between Cavies-BAC and Academy and Spirit. Everyone else is pretty much cemented in where they are.

There is absolutely no suspense in the standings this year and we can’t even blame BD for it!  What’s DCI coming to?

So you completely predicted these standings before the start of the 2018 summer season? Did you predict that Madison wouldn't be likely to make it onto Big, Loud, and Live? Did you predict Mandarins would be neck-and-neck with Phantom? That SCV would be a runaway hit? I get what you're saying--that the standings aren't changing from EARLIER in this season--but it's absolutely ludicrous to literally say "there is absolutely no suspense in the standings this year." 

8 hours ago, FaustianMachine said:

Sure thing!

For the higher placed group, I took the sum of the scores from San Antonio and Atlanta and added 100 to them to represent a perfect score at Allentown. Then I divided that by 3. Once I had that number, I did that for the group directly below them, except I added to the last score until my average came out to be the same as the first average.

Vanguard: (92.325+93.675+100)/3 = 95.333

BD: (90.975+93.250+101.775)/3 = 95.333

It would have had the same result (and been less work) just to compare the sum of the two scores from the first two regionals for any two consecutively-placed corps and see what the difference is. I know, not helpful to tell you this after you've already done all the work.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, brassboy said:

So you completely predicted these standings before the start of the 2018 summer season? Did you predict that Madison wouldn't be likely to make it onto Big, Loud, and Live? Did you predict Mandarins would be neck-and-neck with Phantom? That SCV would be a runaway hit? I get what you're saying--that the standings aren't changing from EARLIER in this season--but it's absolutely ludicrous to literally say "there is absolutely no suspense in the standings this year." 

I’ll give you that one. From here on out, not so much. But I hear what you’re saying. Very true.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FaustianMachine said:

Correct; or another way to look at it is that Boston has to score 0.108 points above the score of The Cavaliers to overtake them. If The Cavaliers tie or score higher than Boston, there is no way for them to be overtaken in the Prelims rankings.

Think you mean, as per your chart, 0.138  

2 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

There may not be a lot of suspense as far as this ONE show in Allentown, but when you consider there are THREE shows in Indy...there is indeed still some suspense.  A corps that might need 1.5 points to move up at Allentown might only need .5 improvement each of the 3 nights in Indy.

And add to that the fact we may need to add some Open Class corps to the mix.

Enough suspense for me...............I'm still goin'            and

Go Blooooooooo!