40 year dominance

How can a 40 year dominance in two divisions be good for any activity? BD and to great extent California is DCI. They started out in the 70s with a large initial advantage and that advantage has built upon itself over decades. Subjective judging has leaned primarily towards one style and now rule changes are proposed to make that subjective bias even worse.
DCI isn't a sport it is an exhibition with BD and sometimes SCV the featured act. If everybodies OK with that, carry on.

Edited by snake33
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

BD hasn't always been the trendsetter or leader of the pack. See, for example, 1983-1993, and 2000-2007.

Yes, this feels like an extended period where it's mostly BD's game and everyone else is just playing along, but it won't always be this way. And, who knows, we may already be in a new era.

Also, take note that we are in pretty diverse times, in terms of who has managed to beat BD on Saturday night -- each time that's happened since 2007, it's been a different corps! And I think that's wonderful. PR, Cadets, Crown, Bluecoats, and probably now SCV!

• Like 5

DCI needs equitable transfer policies, like the vast majority of youth sports around the globe.

in before BRASSO

Luv ya, dude!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, chris ncsu said:

BD hasn't always been the trendsetter or leader of the pack. See, for example, 1983-1993, and 2000-2007.

Yes, this feels like an extended period where it's mostly BD's game and everyone else is just playing along, but it won't always be this way. And, who knows, we may already be in a new era.

Also, take note that we are in pretty diverse times, in terms of who has managed to beat BD on Saturday night -- each time that's happened since 2007, it's been a different corps! And I think that's wonderful. PR, Cadets, Crown, Bluecoats, and probably now SCV!

"New Era" - I see what you did there!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kbbandman said:

"New Era" - I see what you did there!

New, new, new-new era!

^My first finals.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Until there is a cap on expenditures and geographic recruiting restrictions, don’t expect to see much change. 1.6-1.8 million dollars to operate a nonprofit is IMO out of control. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

Until there is a cap on expenditures and geographic recruiting restrictions, don’t expect to see much change. 1.6-1.8 million dollars to operate a nonprofit is IMO out of control. 

you can cut BDs budget down to anyones and they will still succeed. Not even a question. AS far as geographic restrictions. If we did that today , there would be even less corps. If any

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, snake33 said:

How can a 40 year dominence in two divisions be good for any activity? BD and to great extent California is DCI. They started out in the 70s with a large initial advantage and that advantage has built upon itself over decades. Subjective judging has leaned primarily towards one style and now rule changes are proposed to make that subjective bias even worse.
DCI isn't a sport it is an exhibition with BD and sometimes SCV the featured act. If everybodies OK with that, carry on.

I’m confused by your statement that there was a large initial advantage here on the West Coast in the 70s. I moved to CA in the mid sixties from upstate New Jersey. Coming from an area where on any given weekend I could see Holy Name Cadets, Blessed Sacrament, St. Ann’s, Hawthorn Caballeros, Audubon Bon Bons, etc., I was disappointed when arriving here to find that drum corps was much less developed or followed than it had been back east. Granted, the West Coast corps ramped things up effectively with the switch to DCI, but it was not due to some unfair advantage. If anything, eastern corps had a much longer and stronger history and wealth of experience than did the California corps. If there is a dominance that developed it needs to be attributed to the excellent leadership and creativity corps like BD and SCV developed early in their existence. 

• Like 6

Nothing to see here folks.  OP puts this out as his first post.  Time to move on....

• Confused 1