meteoric rises of old

Part of it before 1984 was use of the tick system.  With ticks, the casual fan could tell whether a Corps was having a good run or not.  When execution became subjective, the ability to tell whether a Corps was performing well was left up to the judges, because they obviously know  what is good or not or they wouldn't be judges

8 minutes ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

Spirit of Atlanta: From 23d in 1977 to 6th in 1978.

And 4th in 1979 and 1980 (when the corps finished only .8 from first place).

And in 1978, we missed winning high horns by .05 of a point. Not too shabby considering that 18 months earlier, we didn't even have bugles.

The OP asked how we did it. Well, having a major sponsor (WXIA-TV in Atlanta) that pumped in the cash it took to hire folks like Jim Ott and Tom Float is probably the biggest part of how we did it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

With ticks, the casual fan could tell whether a Corps was having a good run or not.

I think we can still tell about the runs. It's the mystique of scoring, especially the GE caption. It's all arbitrary nothing is nailed down. I and others post about literal aspects of shows and are seeking an explanation on the specifics as it relates to GE, it usually kills the thread. I sit here and see how folks know exactly why Boston came within 500th of a point in full confidence, I need more kool-aid. One corps pushing an empty cart around is showered with the stuff (GE) while another pushing empty carts around are not, which is it?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BD 79-82 said:

Cadets 1979 - 83.   16,10,7,4,1  Maybe not meteoric, but clearly a steady progression of building upon excellence each year. 

Every corps without a championship would take those improvements in a NY minute.

47 minutes ago, BD 79-82 said:

Cadets 1979 - 83.   16,10,7,4,1

Maybe not meteoric, but clearly a steady progression of building upon excellence each year. 

I believe GC took 3rd in ‘82 in Finals by a tenth over PR but they were 5th in Prelims. Nice jump!

Edited by TRacer

2 hours ago, BD 79-82 said:

Cadets 1979 - 83.   16,10,7,4,1

Maybe not meteoric, but clearly a steady progression of building upon excellence each year. 

7 to 1 in two seasons is an incredible feat on its own. Can anybody else claim this?

Regiment had a nice bounce back year in 93, jumping from 8th to 3rd. Having Jeff Prosperie take over percussion and Tony Hall on the visual side really helped inject some life into the corps. (It’s still kills me that I had to take that summer off.) Boston’s recent jump has been incredibly impressive.