Massillon, Ohio - Tour of Champions: Monday, August 6, 2018

5 hours ago, mfrontz said:

iaofvH9.jpg

posted from the DrumScorps app

This was the best USMC drum corps I've ever seen!  They marched a very modern show, which surprised me.  They got the loudest and longest ovation of the night and literally brought the house down.

The crowd loved 'em!  And so did I.  :91_thumbsup:

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, kevingamin said:

Already, the Mandarins have made use of micced brass ensembles on the front sideline twice.

I sat right in front of the subs on the 34 yard line 5 rows up.  Waaay too much sub-woofer.  The also mic'd the ensemble so the horns were amp'd as well.  Not a good sound, it muddied the horns on the field and created a huge balance problem from my seat.

GREAT Mandy show.  The best I've ever seen.

2 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

As at Atlanta, the judges could not make up their minds about BK GE. No other corps was given such widely divergent rankings. Has been a theme all year long; judges don't know what to think.

Those aren’t divergent minds: GE1 is essentially GE Visual and GE2 is essentially GE Music. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gak27 said:

“Goo” did make an appearance at several key points during Cross men’s show...

Agree!  Not a good sound.

Congrats SCV what a show!!!

And...

Go Bloooooooooooooooooooooo

• Like 1

I've got to get to bed and I'm only up to page 18 on this cool thread.  I'll answer a couple of questions first I know y'all are dying to ask:

1.  Yes, I'm horse from cheering for all the corps!  And horse from yelling "Blooo" when you know who was coming onto the field.

2. Absolutely packed house!  The right side-bleachers had an overfill crowd.  They got a good look at Boston's closer, I couldn't see it from the far 30 at ground level.  :43_slight_frown:

3.  I saw the scores.  Boston beating Cavaliers was not a fluke.  This is the best Boston I've ever seen and they were ON FIRE tonight.

4.  Bluecoats were also ON FIRE tonight.  I know they don't score as high as the other top few corps but I don't know why.  This is a championship show and they play the heck out of it!  In a show dripping with sultry jazz and GE that wonderful singer stole the show.

5.  Crown won top brass.  Also not a fluke.

6.  Vanguard could have won high brass, I understand now after seeing them.  More analysis in the morning tomorrow afternoon.  ZZzzzzzz

What a great night of drum corps!

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, kevingamin said:

I can't even write about the last part of the show because I'm too busy pumping my fists in the air. Hell, everybody else is, too.

That sustain was undeniable, but I cringed when one of those Mellos stumbled up the ramp on side 2 and got a nudge from behind to get him into the set. 

If you sat down the middle at this show, what a feast for the senses for you.

@mfrontz - yep, that was touch and go there. 

Also, while adventitious my seat position and frozen video contributed to the short 'scopes.

Edited by Jplan72
  • Like 2