Massillon, Ohio - Tour of Champions: Monday, August 6, 2018

6 hours ago, mfrontz said:

What you don't see is how the mellophone line almost wiped out coming up side 2 of that ramp.

It was the guy (center right on the 50) leading the charge.  They literally RUN up that ramp and the first guy stumbled at the top stair but did not fall.  The guy right behind him reacted and tried to help guy #1 recover.  The two guys did bunch up but no one else in the mello line was affected.

Speaking of mellos, wow!  That have that nice "cutting" sound that audiences love and I thought judges didn't like (think pitch, balance and blend).  Fantastic sound IMO.

Near the end of the show on top of one of those platforms on Side 1 a guy does a standing back flip in place.  Very athletic move!

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, CorpSmother said:

LOL! It’s neither death nor resurrection. The show follows the cycle of the sun. Dusk, night, morning. 

I knew it was about the sun. I guess I found the similarities to death and resurrection a little too striking. Nonetheless, was so glad to see the Blue Knights. It's been so long and they are such a classy group.

1 hour ago, Jplan72 said:

That sustain was undeniable, but I cringed when one of those Mellos stumbled up the ramp on side 2 and got a nudge from behind to get him into the set. 

If you sat down the middle at this show, what a feast for the senses for you.

@mfrontz - yep, that was touch and go there. 

Also, while adventitious my seat position and frozen video contributed to the short 'scopes.

I felt the same way when I saw him stumble - his recovery (with help from the person behind) was almost seamless.  AND it didn't affect the sustain in the least. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfrontz said:

I want Death characters to take a year off. 

This was something that my new-to-drum corps guests asked me after the first few performances last night: "Why are all these shows so dark?"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mfrontz said:

Bluecoats have the best show in their history. Better than Tilt, better than Down Side Up, and it won't win. Suffice it to say that from the first moments they took me to a different world. 

I totally agree. I was really happy when the Bluecoats were consistently beating the Blue Devils at GE because they totally deserve second place at the least.

• Like 4

First time seeing any of these shows live this year (watched these on Flo Atlanta)

Mandarins- I dig the show, particularly the ending. The middle kind of loses me, but visually its very nice and I'm excited to cheer them on at finals. What a rise by this corps, hopefully they can keep it going for future seasons. 

Crossmen- A lot of energy in the show but also terrifying towards the end, what in the world was that. I also didn't like how often the hourglass moved throughout the field, it was somewhat distracting. My attention was drawn to it ever time it moved. 

Blue Knights- Another risky show. I like it but I don't "feel" the theme that much. However I love that they aren't afraid of tension, darkness, and dissonance. Their sound is very unique in drum corps right now. Their look is also unique, love the individualized uniforms. 

Cavies-  fun show that drives its message across. Sounds and looks like a cavies show too. Good stuff, don't have a lot of thoughts on it though. 

Boston- not my favorite boston show over the last decade, but its certainly a good show. And the quality of the corps is rock solid. I love the wave ending though it was hard to really see live where I was. 

Crown- Loved some of the choices they made in this show, and the quality of the performance is very high all around. Unfortunately the design seems to fall short of prior years and they deserve their position, which isn't bad at all. but I was hoping for them to challenge for 3rd. 

Vanguard- holy jebus this show is fire. From start to finish the energy and skill is amazing. Its the only show this year I am craving to see at finals. The duet is magical and that hit...man that might be my favorite DCI moment this year. Also that drum major has serious swag.

Bluecoats- Its a nice show that feels like something BD left on the cutting room floor. Visually its very playful. Musically i can't help but hear a lot of goo. Especially following SCV where they seemed to keep the goo low, or maybe they were just better at mixing (or both). However they play the hell out of the show and its always fun seeing the bluecoats in Massillon. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

This was something that my new-to-drum corps guests asked me after the first few performances last night: "Why are all these shows so dark?"

You can just Imagine their reaction if you took them instead to a WGI Percussion show competition for the first time..... lol

Edited by BRASSO
  • Haha 1

This is a very special show. Part of the HOF enshrinement festival, the Bluecoats home show, and the last performance of many of the top groups before LOS. It's outdoors too so the hornlines let it all out! I always try to get out for a date night to see this show.  

We were in row 4 between the 40-45 so anything visual going that you need high camera for on was totally lost on us. We were sitting by the court so as soon as their names were announced they left and we had room to spread out for the top 3 so that was pretty awesome.

My thoughts (with a little conversation with hubby thrown on).

The set up in general was better than last year with the tents outside of the venue...but there is still some chaos as to where to go...and there were scalpers standing in the middle of the mess.

Rogues Hollow- it was great to have some music during the chaos of will call then getting our seats but I didn't see them because I didn't know what was going on.

National Anthem- Please either have the Marines or a small ensemble from another corps play next time. I'd be satisfied with Rhythm in Blue... speaking of which...

Rhythm in Blue- they are just there to have fun and entertain the crowd...color guard made the show.

Marine Corps- perfect example of how you don't need props or color guard to make and excellent show. They are playing on G bugles right? Their professionalism for entering and exiting the field was phenomenal. Something I miss in drum corps. Really powerful and emotional moment when they draped the fallen souldier with a black cloth and carried him. I was pretty much bawling my eyes out and saw my husband was welling up too. I found out later he didn't even see that...he was just moved by the music...which was powei, emotional, and beautiful.

Mandarins- Wow that hornline brought it. My husband thinks it would have gotten the Jim Ott the year he marched lol. This show was very entertaining but more bizarre than any BK show has ever been. Loved the color guard...they were my moms favorite last year and she is in for a treat on Friday. Pretty sure this was our first dose of canned singing that doesn't belong in drum corps...more about that later.

Crossmen- Nice clean show.  They looked and sounded great. Their singer was like their very own phantom of the Opera...and he was live- which I prefer much over canned singing. I really enjoyed the originality of their 15-17 productions but couldn't really get into those one. Also a disadvantage for them to go after the Mandarins.

Blue Knights- BK is my favorite corps without a medal. I have loved just about every one of their shows since I saw them live in 05. Musically they are great and they really tackle Rite of Spring...not into their uniforms at all and this is one of their only shows that doesn't resonate with me. PS...where is welcome to the Machine? If it was in their repertoire I didn't hear it at all.

Cavaliers- Brass is the best I have heard in awhile from them...but their was a baritone way overplaying a few times. Musically entertaining and in general a show I am looking forward to seeing up high at semifinals. I do have a few issues with this show from a design perspective...1. The staging for the Tuba feature is terrible...they are hidden and way off to the side. 2. Those tarps..while cool for the theme are dangerous..the one right in front of me got tripped up on and wrinkled...as we all know the Cavies like to move... it's a disaster waiting to happen. 3. Their closer seems pretty emotional...but for Pete's sake if you are going to have singing where the corps is either lipsyncing or singing along...let the guys sing! So annoying...No reason for the canned recording. Otherwise I don't see the big deal people are making about this... it's subtle.

Boston- Like I said I didn't see Cavaliers from up high but this show was pretty clearly a step above the Cavaliers. Very cool visuals...clean execution..just a great show. Singing for amazing Grace was unnecessary...we all recognize the tune and know the lyrics...they are missing the opportunity  for an amazing brass moment that would bring the audience to their feet. They faked the crowd out for the ending so they got 2 standing ovations. I loved the soft ending...my husband didn't. Overall I loved this show and I am rooting for a 5th place finish for them.

Crown- All I can say is WOW. This show is just as good as Inferno from start to finish. I guess it doesn't have the visuals or staging of inferno but the percussion is way better. Crown is back and as entertaining as ever. I am really disappointed that this show probably isn't going to medal especially considering that last year's show did. The only reason this show is in 4th is because the Bluecoats and SCV are way better than they were in 15. (Although the shows from the aforementioned corps in 2015 all make my all time favorite show list...and I am just not sure any shows from. 2018 will make the cut). Anyway UNLEASH THE BEAST CROWN!!!

SCV- OMG this show is aggressive and Bad@$$ from start to finish. Great percussion, brass, and guard. Superior staging for big moments...but much like 2017 while I feel they are really on their A game... I just can't get totally vested into this show.

Bluecoats- I have been knocking them about their opener all season...but I love it live. Probably the best hornline they have ever had. This show is like sitting in an old school jazz club...and guess what? It's perfect from start to finish. Oh and I want to give a shout out to the trumpets... love the low range stuff and all that jazz. I am a trumpet player and this is what trumpets should sound like my friend. I have been saying this for years but  NO CORPS SELLS MUSIC LIKE THE BLUECOATS. So powerful...you can't help but get into it.

Encore was awesome and a special treat but interrupted and shorter than years past. Can't beat the boxer though.

Otherwise I finally talked my husband into doing the post show alum stuff and it was a great experience for him.

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I sat right in front of the subs on the 34 yard line 5 rows up.  Waaay too much sub-woofer.  The also mic'd the ensemble so the horns were amp'd as well.  Not a good sound, it muddied the horns on the field and created a huge balance problem from my seat.

GREAT Mandy show.  The best I've ever seen.

I agree 100% The amps were annoying an unnecessary.

• Like 1