Shoremen Brass Classic -- Avon Lake, OH -- Aug. 4, 2018

All right! I'm heading home! My next coverage will be Monday night at the Massillon, Ohio, Tour of Champions event. See you there!

5 hours ago, kevingamin said:

Since there is no official thread tied into the DrumScorps app, I'm going to have to get creative in order to post pictures from the show.

Sorry, I waited as long as I could for an official thread to be created before starting this one.

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Lineup:

6:45 Columbus Saints - Columbus, OH

7:00 Welcome & National Anthem

7:10 Rogues Hollow Regiment - Doylestown, OH

staticmap?zoom=12&size=469x307&key=AIzaS

Weird that the first performance comes before the national anthem.

Are the Saints performing on the field? In the lot?

Due to delays meeting up with friends whose tickets I had, I only saw bits of Saints' performance, from some distance away and at ground level. It was on the field but appeared to be a quasi-standstill, and from what I could see, they looked pretty small.

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Did Coco (which I only saw a couple months ago) come out before or after Cabs performed their similarly-themed "Pathway to Remembrance" show?

Given the themes of the Southwind and BDB shows, what a coincidence that I should have mentioned Coco!

1*fMrcgg8-YwZ5GJSf8DDJXQ.jpeg

5 hours ago, kevingamin said:

Some of the members have numbers on them. I suspect this is a dance competition theme. The back field drum major is now carrying a clipboard and pulled a number off one of the members. Yer out of the running, kid.

The theme was far from clear, but the playing was generally entertaining.

4 hours ago, kevingamin said:

Spider-Man theme. Look out.

Who would have believed you if you'd said six months ago that we'd hear this theme by two different corps in one evening?

Now for the big visual reveal: The corps removes their Aussies and jackets to review space themed tops while wearing the star points on their backs.

One snare player's star was missing.

Bass drums start the show playing a tribal rhythm on the back sideline. We have narration, most likely from the Beowulf epic itself.

Kinda sorta? It sounded like a loose translation of some secondary passages at best. As a sometime student of Beowulf, the only element for me that actually worked in support of the theme was the Old English text on the front panels.

It doesn't help Raiders that they follow Shadow, which is a full sized corps, especially in the horns.

Raiders were stronger two years ago when their hornline was only half the size they have this year.

Beowulf tosses a mean sabre. I wouldn't mess with him.

One of the key points in Beowulf is that he purposely chooses to fight Grendel barehanded.