Cavies are in trouble

I wish the singing at the end was live. (If it actually is live, I can't tell who's singing. And I've been told more than once that it's not live.) It seems to me that from an execution standpoint, handing off the melody of your closer to a recording (even a recording of members) is a problem--one they also had last year, but the judges let it skate.

That said, I also think the ending is a riot, and one that took some guts to put on in drum corps even now. Not as bold as in 2010, shortly I joined this forum, when lots of people were posting angry comments here about two corps whose male guard wore skirts (entirely appropriate to the shows themes), because I heard laughter but not derision when I saw this year's show live in Centervile. But there were some mildly shocked looks among audience members near me.

There were some expressions of outrage in the crowd near me when I saw Cavs' 2016 show at Dublin. By the end of the season, they'd layered in more humor. The humor last year was arguably too strong, such that most people didn't get the message at all.

Still, with their past three shows, Cavaliers remind me of the film director Paul Verhoeven:

In a 2014 interview on The Adam Carolla Show, the actor Michael Ironside, who read the novel [Starship Troopers] as a youth, said that he asked Verhoeven, who grew up in Nazi-occupied Netherlands, "Why are you doing a right-wing fascist movie?" Verhoeven replied, "If I tell the world that a right-wing, fascist way of doing things doesn't work, no one will listen to me. So I'm going to make a perfect fascist world: everyone is beautiful, everything is shiny, everything has big guns and fancy ships, but it's only good for killing *&^%ing bugs."

• Like 3

This should read “Phantom/Madison  are in trouble”

Little disappointed The Cavaliers aren't stronger medal contenders. But we're all in trouble if we view vying for 5 & 6 this year is "in trouble." This top half of the final 12 will be powerfully-performed, very creative drum corps shows. After last night at Allentown, add the Cadets in there, too.

• Like 4

In 2016 and 2017, Cavies came alive come early August with shows that enabled last minute add ins. I’m not sure this year’s show offers that opportunity the way 2016 and 2017 did, and 6th will most likely be the final placement. However, they are not far behind from where they were last year, and I know that BAC is not resting comfortably knowing that Cavies may have a few tricks up their sleeves.

Regarding Cadets, I am expecting very emotional performances in Indy, and they’ll give it their all, but I don’t think the current top 6 will change. Yes Cadets show has bite, and it’s not impossible  for a late surge, but the top 6 is very strong. I’m not saying the placement order for prelims will be the final placement. Crown is stronger than I predicted which will be a threat to Bluecoats, but Bluecoats could also come out roaring and createva few surprises. Blue Devils could easily spoil SCV’s chance of a title, and BAC and Cavies could disrupt things. It will be quite a week.

• Like 1

Talent wise this group could medal and thought they had a chance at the beginning of the season.  Plenty of demand but the design is not firing on all cylinders.  Neither was BD’s at first...but they have made a ton of changes and cleaned up.  Cavies have not kept up with the arms race.

They’re fine. I’m so glad the brass is back to playing FFF at hits

• Like 1

I speculated before the season began that while this year's Top 6 will likely remain the same as in 2017, it will be a bloodbath for the top and I feel bad for whichever corps will end up in 6th. And unfortunately, that corps happens to be the Cavaliers. Regardless of where they're placing, I enjoy most of the show (even the "Oh What A World" closer, although I feel the transition into it is very clunky).

8 hours ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

I thought the show was about the madness that a genius must endure as part of the nature of being a genius. And the carpets are the neuron connections the brain makes as part of the creative process, and the cages signify the mental imprisonment of being mad.

Sounds like your typical drum corps show!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This is my favorite Cavaliers show since Mad World. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Just as a few others are saying the top 6 are all incredibly strong this year...and the Cavies are getting better but so is BAC.

The only corps that looks to me like a slide from last year is Madison. Placement might not say so but just about every corps is just as good or better than last year.

• Like 1

A bit of a henny-penny thread title, IMO. The boys are fine.