Cavies are in trouble

They built 3/4 of what could have been a top 3 show, but blew it with a non-ending that undercuts the previous work.

It was a wasted opportunity, given the huge uptick in talent and improved teaching that are both obvious in the hornline, but as long as they recruit well off-season and the staff learns some lessons about planning a show all the way to the end, they're still on a good trajectory.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

Yes the last part of the show has become a problem.  But it wasn't a problem in the early part of the season.  You either love the Rufus Wainwright song or you hate it.  I happen to love it...... or at least I did.  If you want to do something campy or over the top then you have to dive in, let loose and be prepared to make a fool of yourself.  With each progressive show more and more members look self conscious, embarrassed or hoping to just get it over with.  That's too bad, because so many corps are doing dark themes with very discordant music that a moment of complete goofiness is a breath of fresh air.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bluesman said:

Yes the last part of the show has become a problem.  But it wasn't a problem in the early part of the season.  You either love the Rufus Wainwright song or you hate it.  I happen to love it...... or at least I did.  If you want to do something campy or over the top then you have to dive in, let loose and be prepared to make a fool of yourself.  With each progressive show more and more members look self conscious, embarrassed or hoping to just get it over with.  That's too bad, because so many corps are doing dark themes with very discordant music that a moment of complete goofiness is a breath of fresh air.   

well I personally love the source music

I agree the ending has worn a little thin as the season has progressed

however I don't think Cavaliers are "in trouble" - as a huge Cadets fan I put the odds very low of Cadets catching them by Saturday - if we had two weeks and not just one, possibly

watch Monday nights Cadets score - if they move Cadets up to 91.5-92.5 then maybe they will challenge them for sixth

either way, both corps are having a very good season - as are all the corps ahead of them!

22 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

well I personally love the source music

I agree the ending has worn a little thin as the season has progressed

however I don't think Cavaliers are "in trouble" - as a huge Cadets fan I put the odds very low of Cadets catching them by Saturday - if we had two weeks and not just one, possibly

watch Monday nights Cadets score - if they move Cadets up to 91.5-92.5 then maybe they will challenge them for sixth

either way, both corps are having a very good season - as are all the corps ahead of them!

I love the source material too, and I'd like to thank the Cavaliers for exposing me to it.  It's a wonderful ear worm that I sing it without knowing that I'm doing it.  I've gotten a few strange looks from people who must think I'm nuts. 

18 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

I'm having a hard time getting past the notion that being a Top-6 DCI corps is trouble.

A little perspective please.

This was my thought when I saw the thread title. 

This is DCI World Class competition folks. Not some small off-beat circuit where there are only 6 corps competing and the Cavaliers are 6th with a bad show.  Go ask Phantom Regiment and Madison Scout fans how they'd feel being in 5th or 6th place. This is the Cavaliers best show since 2014. I really like the music. They started the season being close to Crown but ultimately were running 5th most of the season. Boston passing them in a few recent shows is not a reason to think they are in trouble. I do expect that Boston will beat them at Finals.  The Crusaders have a better show and are performing the heck out of it. It will be close.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

I thought the show was about the madness that a genius must endure as part of the nature of being a genius. And the carpets are the neuron connections the brain makes as part of the creative process, and the cages signify the mental imprisonment of being mad.

This ( as explained by the designers ) was the primary "connection" of the red tarps. This photo is from "A Beautiful Mind". The corps uses one of the movie's musical selections as the ballad...the "red lines" represent the scene in the movie when John Nash is found to be totally crazy, having "redline" connected all kinds of magazine and newspaper articles together in grand conspiracy theories. 

detective-looking-at-investigation-board

Edited by PopcornEater1963
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, bluesman said:

If you want to do something campy or over the top then you have to dive in, let loose and be prepared to make a fool of yourself.  With each progressive show more and more members look self conscious, embarrassed or hoping to just get it over with.  That's too bad, because so many corps are doing dark themes with very discordant music that a moment of complete goofiness is a breath of fresh air.

At Centerville, several pit members went all in, camping it up big time, which I appreciated.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

This ( as explained by the designers ) was the primary "connection" of the red tarps. This photo is from "A Beautiful Mind". The corps uses one of the movie's musical selections as the ballad...the "red lines" represent the scene in the movie when Richard Nash is found to be totally crazy, having "redline" connected all kinds of magazine and newspaper articles together in grand conspiracy theories. 

detective-looking-at-investigation-board

Thanks for this. I didn't care much for A Beautiful Mind, but it's good to know what the designers had in mind. Maybe this, for instance, or maybe not:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Forbes_Nash_Jr.#Personal_life