Cavies are in trouble

4 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

This was my thought when I saw the thread title. 

This is DCI World Class competition folks. Not some small off-beat circuit where there are only 6 corps competing and the Cavaliers are 6th with a bad show.  Go ask Phantom Regiment and Madison Scout fans how they'd feel being in 5th or 6th place. This is the Cavaliers best show since 2014. I really like the music. They started the season being close to Crown but ultimately were running 5th most of the season. Boston passing them in a few recent shows is not a reason to think they are in trouble. I do expect that Boston will beat them at Finals.  The Crusaders have a better show and are performing the heck out of it. It will be close.

Agreed. there is nothing that says a corps that has been rebuilding ever since Santa Clara raided their staff is in trouble, because they are in 6th place and maybe even 5th. They are on the uptake and will continue to do so. But watch out what you say right now because the Cavies new staff is solid and have as of yesterday closed their rehearsals for the remainder of the season. That is something they have not made a big deal about in quite a few years. Well they sure did today and yesterday. Even telling their family members that they will have to register and wear a wrist band to sit in on rehearsals. No one else will be admitted. Just sayin, its not over yet. And they have the members and staff to work wonders.

10 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

This is my favorite Cavaliers show since Mad World. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Just as a few others are saying the top 6 are all incredibly strong this year...and the Cavies are getting better but so is BAC.

The only corps that looks to me like a slide from last year is Madison. Placement might not say so but just about every corps is just as good or better than last year.

Absolutely agree

20 hours ago, PCEP00 said:

True. Guess I was excluding travel/random shows en route...

They have a lot to fix in the back 1/3. Wainwright doesn't sound like Cavies. Or drum corps for that matter. It's not working. Cadets might leap over them.

nope won't happen

13 minutes ago, dureau said:

nope won't happen

Didn't you predict two weeks ago the Cavaliers would be ahead of Crown and BD heading into Indianapolis? Guessing you're not exactly impartial here...

All the bandos on here giving out participation medals: sure, it's great they're in the top 6/7. Kudos to them. But this is a competitive activity. Otherwise, why keep score? I loved the early 00's-era Cavaliers. No reason they can't return to that level of excellence. Their design staff should give them a chance.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

This ( as explained by the designers ) was the primary "connection" of the red tarps. This photo is from "A Beautiful Mind". The corps uses one of the movie's musical selections as the ballad...the "red lines" represent the scene in the movie when John Nash is found to be totally crazy, having "redline" connected all kinds of magazine and newspaper articles together in grand conspiracy theories. 

detective-looking-at-investigation-board

I made this connection in a 7/2 post before they put up the video: http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/167120-the-cavaliers-2018-70-years-of-excellence/&do=findComment&comment=3731574.

Visually, I thought it was really neat. And if they stuck with that dark theme to the end - but added velocity to the closer, it'd work. Where this show fails is with the clunker of the "tarp reveal" and campy sing-a-long. The more they've added to it, the worse their GE scores have gotten compared to Crown/BAC. Again, it's an AWESOME show the first 3/4. That last section, though...needs work.

11 minutes ago, PCEP00 said:

I made this connection in a 7/2 post before they put up the video: http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/167120-the-cavaliers-2018-70-years-of-excellence/&do=findComment&comment=3731574.

Visually, I thought it was really neat. And if they stuck with that dark theme to the end - but added velocity to the closer, it'd work. Where this show fails is with the clunker of the "tarp reveal" and campy sing-a-long. The more they've added to it, the worse their GE scores have gotten compared to Crown/BAC. Again, it's an AWESOME show the first 3/4. That last section, though...needs work.

I’m just a parent and fan...so I have no information. But I’m wondering how much can be done this late in the game. It seems to me possibly the only thing to be done is to work on the members “selling” the ending. Don’t believe there’s enough time for any kind of rewrite. 

Either way, proud to have my kid out there whistling/tromboning/baritoning... life changing experience! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

I’m just a parent and fan...so I have no information. But I’m wondering how much can be done this late in the game. It seems to me possibly the only thing to be done is to work on the members “selling” the ending. Don’t believe there’s enough time for any kind of rewrite. 

Either way, proud to have my kid out there whistling/tromboning/baritoning... life changing experience! 

Every show at the end of the season has things that just didn’t work quite as well as originally thought. Don’t over analyze anything- just keep being proud of your son for having such an awesome experience this summer with a VERY entertaining show. One of my favorites this year! :-)

Edited by RedJazz1900