Flo Guy FIRED for Sexist Remarks

Just now, BigW said:

I don't know if Torgo is really a villain. More a goofy bumbling freak. :laugh:

Sorry buddy I meant Cora the coffe lady. Still remember my parents flipping out when they realized who the actress was..

• Haha 1

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

Sorry buddy I meant Cora the coffe lady. Still remember my parents flipping out when they realized who the actress was..

Oh, indeed. That friendly Grandmotherly figure hawking Maxwell House in her homespun way was the Wicked Witch. :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

That remark wasn’t sexist.  It was just plain stupid.

the fact that he tied what he was saying to the fact that the Cavaliers are an all male corps means that yes, it was rooted in sexism. even if he didn't mean it that way, that's how it came out

Edited by ZachDrumCorps
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

Everyone involved with those studio shows needs to be fired for subjecting us to such an embarrassingly amateurish attempt at color commentary. 

Look, we know not everyone is comfortable being on camera, but there a lot of people who follow this stuff who are, and who could provide interesting and entertaining observations about the shows. It’s not like the hosts are being thrown into an extremely challenging, think on your feet situation - it’s just two folks discussing shows THEY HAVE JUST WATCHED. 

Even with that low bar, they managed to present more than one individual who admits to NOT SEEING THE SHOWS EVEN ONCE PRIOR TO THE BROADCAST. Come on, when working for the company with exclusive broadcast rights, you’re saying there there is no way to view a previous competition to prepare a few thoughts? Dear god, look on YouTube! You can find them all there.

Either offer something of quality, or don’t bother. These segments have been cringe-inducing all season.

It's indeed amateurish, as they are, as far as I know, amateurs at broadcasting. 

"there a lot of people who follow this stuff who are [comfortable with being on camera]" - indeed this is true, but the Flo studios are in Austin. Here's guessing they aren't going to fly Steve Rondinaro in to Austin to provide commentary. There are some talented marching band design folks in Austin, and Jeremy Hunt is one of them. Maybe he's not the best to choose from (particularly given his gaff), but I wouldn't expect someone else geographically close to be tremendously better.

"it’s just two folks discussing shows THEY HAVE JUST WATCHED" - that's not really correct. Jeremy was also trying to provide some insights beyond what you were seeing. Unfortunately, one of his supposed insights led to an ignorant statement. 

Ultimately, I agree with you on "offer something of quality, or don’t bother." Rather than complain about it, I opt not to watch. And expecting a higher quality aftershow is probably expecting too much. 

• Like 1

It's genetically true that males on average are physically stronger and can work harder and longer.

It is also genetically true that males on average are more logical in their thought as opposed to emotional compared to females.

This is scientifically proven and does not espouse an opinion for other against any particular philosophy.

This guy said what he said because he assumed what I mentioned above to be an obvious fact that is inherent to our species. 

Some people will get upset because they take this to mean that females are inferior, when the facts say no such thing. It is assumed, and the fact they assume something says more about them than the one they point fingers at. 

So logically, I have to assume that either Flo Marching believes that women are inferior, or are catering to those who believe so in fear of losing money, or that the people who are upset over this do not think logically, and the latter is what I assume to be the case, and that comes from our education system not teaching philosophy and logic, how to form an opinion or argument using reason.

Edited by BoyWonder1911
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

It is also genetically true that males on average are more logical in their thought as opposed to emotional compared to females.

This is scientifically proven and does not espouse an opinion for other against any particular philosophy.

Let's check back in on this one in fifty years. These sort of findings tend to get overturned with time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

It's indeed amateurish, as they are, as far as I know, amateurs at broadcasting. 

"there a lot of people who follow this stuff who are [comfortable with being on camera]" - indeed this is true, but the Flo studios are in Austin. Here's guessing they aren't going to fly Steve Rondinaro in to Austin to provide commentary. There are some talented marching band design folks in Austin, and Jeremy Hunt is one of them. Maybe he's not the best to choose from (particularly given his gaff), but I wouldn't expect someone else geographically close to be tremendously better.

"it’s just two folks discussing shows THEY HAVE JUST WATCHED" - that's not really correct. Jeremy was also trying to provide some insights beyond what you were seeing. Unfortunately, one of his supposed insights led to an ignorant statement. 

Ultimately, I agree with you on "offer something of quality, or don’t bother." Rather than complain about it, I opt not to watch. And expecting a higher quality aftershow is probably expecting too much. 

I agree if you don't like it don't watch it. With that said I applaud them for trying to add some flavor to the broadcast and I think the IDEA is an interesting one. They just haven't stumbled upon the right people to make it worth watching yet. The lady I think does a pretty good job actually. The experts they have called in however not as good. With time I think they can get it right. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Let's check back in on this one in fifty years. These sort of findings tend to get overturned with time.

When it comes to stamina, you don't have to wait 50 years for a study showing "females exhibited smaller reductions in power and similar changes in rate of neuromuscular activation than males, indicating females were less fatigable than males." 

• Like 4