Flo Guy FIRED for Sexist Remarks

3 hours ago, BigW said:

Heck, let Ream and I do the commentary. I'd do it for less money and keep it safe.

No I can’t do R rated

52 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Political figures get away with much worse. 

But they shouldn't. 

I applaud Flo for their swift action

Given what the activity has been through the last few months, and hopefully no other surprises await, it’s definitely I’ll advised commentary 

• Like 1

The commentators on  the Flo post-show are cringe worthy . There is zero chemistry between them. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, EricS said:

Extreme it may seem, but  it's going to take actions like this to stop these kinds of chauvinistic thoughts and/or comments. 

Completely agree. Until people see that there are real consequences for their words and actions, they won't sit down and introspect on why their thoughts/words are wrong. 

God knows that the figure we see on the TV every day is not setting any sort of example, so I'm glad that Flo, out of all entities, is. 

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Personally, I don't think women are generally so fragile as to be bothered by some silly comment by some guy of little consequence in a lame conversation filler to a bad video stream.

If there was an all female corps and someone had innocently postulated about the potential advantage of, say, women being broader listeners who can better grasp the context and nuances of critical last minute instruction, I seriously doubt they would be out of a job today.

To me, the double standard present in the overreaction to this is sexist and insulting to women.  

Barbara Maroney of Cadets fame was once asked why the preponderance of middle horn players were female.

(From a 1992 interview in 'The Middle Horn Leader')

SP: OK, here's a sexist question for you, but I've got to ask it. Why do girls make better mellophone players than guys? Do you guys know something we don't?

BM: Are you talking about the age-range for a junior corps?

SP: Yeah.

BM: Boy, I'm going to get killed for this one. I think, at that age, girls are more able to express their emotions.

SP: Wow, I've never even thought about it that way.

BM: I mean, that's the age when they start thinking about themselves and how they look, and that's when they say "Oh, isn't that cat pretty" or "look at the babies" and all of that stuff. The guys are not really there yet. I can even tell in the line, 17 year old girls and the older guys, are about the same level in that kind of thing. For the most part, you get girls in the mellophone line.. Although, I've had some really great guys playing mellophone. The soloist at Garfield was a guy soloist, he was wonderful.

He got caught saying something sexist and offensive?! He got fired!? He’ll be president soon.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

That's ridiculous.  His comments may not be politically correct but certainly NOT a fireable offense.  At worst it was a "don't do that."

People are not perfect with their language and from what I read the person had no ill intent and apologized immediately.  The man has a family to feed.

Sorry Flo Marching, for your low tolerance YOU'RE fired.  :39_angry:

I highly doubt the one time payment of whatever amount for some side gig is going to take food out of the mouth’s of his children. It’s not like he was a full time employee of Flo Marching. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Fred Morrison could always hire him ...

Too soon?

Geez, I'm way out of the loop here. I don't follow the forums during the off-season, so it wasn't until mid-June that I found out about GH. This is my first time learning about this. Gotta say I'm disappointed in Crossmen leadership on how this was handled.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

I highly doubt the one time payment of whatever amount for some side gig is going to take food out of the mouth’s of his children. It’s not like he was a full time employee of Flo Marching. 

Not to mention he doesn't have any children. So there's that.

• Haha 2