Flo Guy FIRED for Sexist Remarks

1 minute ago, Bluzes said:

It's just not flo I think I pointed to a neglected zero tolerance issue where kids were actually harmed. I am saddened at what happened but wonder where this is all going. Zero Tolerance Prison Time, flogging in the public square, fines?

Do we have free speech. Or is it the right not to be offended. I will catch on either way but give me a clue. They are two different things and can't co-exist 

Society is still figuring it out right now. We still live in very imperfect times and always will to some extent. The Larry Nassar incident is very sad, and speaks to how we still have a long way to go. I'm sure people will disagree but I think Flo's actions are a step in the right direction

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EricS said:

well if I must====it's the simpleton fact that the thought entered his mind in the first place.. 

end of conversation!

I honestly don't even know what he was really saying, let alone what he was thinking.  Personally, I do not like to presume to know what is in another's heart and mind better than they know those things themselves.  Some would call me indecisive for that.  Others might call me fair.  I can tell you that I would wish to be as fair to anyone here, including you, if you said something that others found offensive.  Peace.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Flo's actions are a step in the right direction

Fair enough like the part we're still figuring it out. Thanks

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Society is still figuring it out right now. We still live in very imperfect times and always will to some extent. The Larry Nassar incident is very sad, and speaks to how we still have a long way to go. I'm sure people will disagree but I think Flo's actions are a step in the right direction

Are you comfortable with whoever is in charge at any given time having the authority to determine whether your own words are racist, sexist, etc.?  

I didn't hear the remark but I read about it afterwards and, yes, it came off very bad.  As a female, I found it extremely offensive, belittling and degrading.  I can't imagine what a current female MM busting her butt with any corps would have felt after readinghearing that.  Anything short of firing the commentator instantly would have been dereliction of duty on the part of Flo.  This behavior/mindset/attitude can't be tolerated anymore.  The cat is out of the bag.  There is no going back.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Are you comfortable with whoever is in charge at any given time having the authority to determine whether your own words are racist, sexist, etc.?  

Well it depends on what we're talking about. When you are employed by a company, then yes, I am comfortable with a company having a set of values and administering punishment when an employee strays from these values in a way that hurts the image of that company. 

Now if we are talking about the government, that's a different matter entirely. Morals and values are often shaped by public opinion rather than the government. The laws set by the government, while created with practicality and fairness in mind, are influenced by the aforementioned morals and values. Sometimes the government strays from this however, and so I can't really say with certainty that i'd be comfortable with that. 

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

It's just not flo I think I pointed to a neglected zero tolerance issue where kids were actually harmed. I am saddened at what happened but wonder where this is all going. Zero Tolerance Prison Time, flogging in the public square, fines?

Do we have free speech. Or is it the right not to be offended. I will catch on either way but give me a clue. They are two different things and can't co-exist 

lol, I knew you be in here spouting this type of nonsense. You’re not fooling anyone.

16 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I honestly don't even know what he was really saying, let alone what he was thinking.  Personally, I do not like to presume to know what is in another's heart and mind better than they know those things themselves.  Some would call me indecisive for that.  Others might call me fair.  I can tell you that I would wish to be as fair to anyone here, including you, if you said something that others found offensive.  Peace.

Intent doesn’t matter. What was in his heart and mind doesn’t matter.

He said what he said, and what he said is not acceptable in 2018. Flo handled this appropriately.

• Like 1

Just now, jeffmolnar said:

Intent doesn’t matter. What was in his heart and mind doesn’t matter.

He said what he said, and what he said is not acceptable in 2018. Flo handled this appropriately.

I do think intent matters in how we view the individual and his actions after the fact. But I do not think it necessarily should make a difference in the consequences 

This issue is simply a manefestation of everybody’s political views and is being used as a soundboard for these views. Best of luck to anyone hoping to sway the opposition tonight, but that’s unlikely to happen in such a polarized and political issue.