Flo Guy FIRED for Sexist Remarks

I saw the broadcast.  My general opinions:

He said something stupid. She did a great job of calling him out in the moment.

I like the FLO commentators.  Yes, it’s a bit unpolished, but it will get better as time goes on. Keep up the good work FLO.

I am sorry the guy lost the gig.  Personally I would have liked it better if he had given an apology on air on the next show and everyone moved on. Even better if they turned the whole thing into something humorous.

Glad he apologized via other means, the word defiant twice in the letter does make me wonder about the apology. (Shout out Harry Schearers Apologies of the week.)

We all stay stupid stupid stupid stuff all the time. I am not a fan of all the internet shaming that goes on for dumb stuff people do.  I am only grateful that I have not been recorded and broadcast every time I have said something idiotic in anger, frustration or exhaustion, etc

Edited by Sasha1
  • Like 4

On 8/5/2018 at 3:42 PM, BoyWonder1911 said:

It's genetically true that males on average are physically stronger and can work harder and longer.

It is also genetically true that males on average are more logical in their thought as opposed to emotional compared to females.

This is scientifically proven and does not espouse an opinion for other against any particular philosophy.

This guy said what he said because he assumed what I mentioned above to be an obvious fact that is inherent to our species. 

Some people will get upset because they take this to mean that females are inferior, when the facts say no such thing. It is assumed, and the fact they assume something says more about them than the one they point fingers at. 

So logically, I have to assume that either Flo Marching believes that women are inferior, or are catering to those who believe so in fear of losing money, or that the people who are upset over this do not think logically, and the latter is what I assume to be the case, and that comes from our education system not teaching philosophy and logic, how to form an opinion or argument using reason.

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

• Like 2

How many times have we seen someone say something really stupid on a live broadcast?  It could have been worse.  He might have had a Miss South Carolina moment........  Maybe there needs to be 30 second delay on this part of Flo's broadcast.   

Flo should put in a short delay for the discussion part of the show.  Saturday Night Live, The View and the Oscars all have short delays now because someone forgot to "make sure that their brain was engaged before putting their mouth into gear".

Edited by bluesman
spelling

3 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

If people could apply some critical thinking skills before opening their mouths it would be less of a problem. 

In grad school, several of the Ed. courses hammered into us that it was okay to stop and think about your response and what you'd say. Just shooting back something could easily cost you your job.

• Like 2

If he had just let it go and moved on like she wanted to it would have been ok, but he kept going on and kinda said "you wouldn't understand..." When she succeeded in ending that conversation he was like "okaay..." Also she was talking about last-week additions, not what he was referring to. 

He shoulda said that to the Crown women's ensemble

TBH when I marched the women were some of the most ###### members and techs. 3, 4, 5 year Cadet vets. I marched with a young woman who eventually marched 7 years in a row, 5 at Cadets. That's pretty hardcore.

• Like 2

you people are waaay to sensitive. Yes the guy said something he should not have.  The female broadcaster was putting on a nice show to really showcase her opinion. But do you have to loose your minds and all find a safe place. move on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Q of A said:

you people are waaay to sensitive. Yes the guy said something he should not have.  The female broadcaster was putting on a nice show to really showcase her opinion. But do you have to loose your minds and all find a safe place. move on.

Maybe it's recency bias, but it certainly feels like these testosterone-flexing type of comments come disproportionately from Madison alums on DCP. Weird. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

the discussion part of the show turns me off no matter who is on. the conversation feels forced, with people clearly not professionals at that type of discussion. if they continue to use that this weekend, when it comes on, i'll turn the sound down and do something else.

I get the idea behind it, but they need better people to do it, and they need to have more engaging material, and maybe even highlights like an NFL halftime show.

11 hours ago, FTNK said:

Once again your surrealistic kaleidescope of verbiage confuses but amuses. Smoke ‘em if u got ‘em 

Sounds  Like a Folk Song, thanks amuses is my only objective everything else read below.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sasha1 said:

I saw the broadcast.  My general opinions:

He said something stupid. She did a great job of calling him out in the moment.

I like the FLO commentators.  Yes, it’s a bit unpolished, but it will get better as time goes on. Keep up the good work FLO.

I am sorry the guy lost the gig.  Personally I would have liked it better if he had given an apology on air on the next show and everyone moved on. Even better if they turned the whole thing into something humorous.

Glad he apologized via other means, the word defiant twice in the letter does make me wonder about the apology. (Shout out Harry Schearers Apologies of the week.)

We all stay stupid stupid stupid stuff all the time. I am not a fan of all the internet shaming that goes on for dumb stuff people do.  I am only grateful that I have not been recorded and broadcast every time I have said something idiotic in anger, frustration or exhaustion, etc

Yes, we all say stupid stuff, but this goes a bit beyond some random off the cuff remark.  This is more about a mindset, an attitude, that is not accurate and needs to end.  And there is NOTHING funny about it.  Ask any female MM of any corps who is busting her butt out on the field every day if she thinks this Flo guy's remark is funny, in any way, at all.

But I DO agree that the commentary is a nice addition.  I also like the guy who talks about drill.  

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 2