Flo Guy FIRED for Sexist Remarks

Now I remember.  This thread is yet another example of how the outrage society of today works.  Yes, that guy made remarks worthy of some outrage... but our readiness to flash-mob anything that offends us superficially, without considering the severity of the offense, credibility of the accusation, or consequences of our response... is, as you said, disheartening.

15 hours ago, tedrick said:

it's in it's infancy - I think it will get better -- we have the technology - we just need to get more comfortable on air -- 

I wonder how flo finds their commentators? It's kind of a tricky issue with sponsorships and affinities, ect -- 

what we need is a youtube sensation who is passionate about drum corps and ready to step into doing flo commentary -  

What's JDfuncorps up to these days?

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Now I remember.  This thread is yet another example of how the outrage society of today works.  Yes, that guy made remarks worthy of some outrage... but our readiness to flash-mob anything that offends us superficially, without considering the severity of the offense, credibility of the accusation, or consequences of our response... is, as you said, disheartening.

So the offense wasn't severe enough for you? I'm sure the comment didn't affect you at all so therefore it's not severe. Your statement is foolish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, JackTripper said:

So the offense wasn't severe enough for you? 

Oh, please.  As I already said, the guy made remarks worthy of outrage.  Obviously, the strength and work ethic of women/girls has been proven on countless drum corps practice and performance sites, starting long before we were even toilet-trained.  He got that so wrong that you could hear the wheels wheel in his mind start to turn as he began to realize the depth of his ignorance mid-statement.  As I read this thread, I was totally ready to join the flash mob celebrating his resulting firing.  

But upon further reflection, I am not so sure that permanent removal is the appropriate response for one act of stupidity/ignorance.  Good luck to all of you who think that should be the standard - I will be reading your posts more closely from now on.  :sneaky:

If the punishment should fit the crime, I would rather sentence him to lifetime Flo commentary, where he would inevitably have to develop a more respectful attitude toward the female gender and co-ed corps.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Oh, please.  As I already said, the guy made remarks worthy of outrage.  Obviously, the strength and work ethic of women/girls has been proven on countless drum corps practice and performance sites, starting long before we were even toilet-trained.  He got that so wrong that you could hear the wheels wheel in his mind start to turn as he began to realize the depth of his ignorance mid-statement.  As I read this thread, I was totally ready to join the flash mob celebrating his resulting firing.  

But upon further reflection, I am not so sure that permanent removal is the appropriate response for one act of stupidity/ignorance.  Good luck to all of you who think that should be the standard - I will be reading your posts more closely from now on.  :sneaky:

If the punishment should fit the crime, I would rather sentence him to lifetime Flo commentary, where he would inevitably have to develop a more respectful attitude toward the female gender and co-ed corps.

Im not sure if a comment on an anonymous online forum is as similar to a broadcaster doing so as you are making it out to be. Context matters. When you put yourself on a platform like that, you subject yourself to additional scrutiny. It’s the job. Saying something in front of your friends would not be the same as saying it in front of coworkers or patients as an example. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Im not sure if a comment on an anonymous online forum is as similar to a broadcaster doing so as you are making it out to be. Context matters. When you put yourself on a platform like that, you subject yourself to additional scrutiny. It’s the job. Saying something in front of your friends would not be the same as saying it in front of coworkers or patients as an example. 

True.

• Like 1