Iconic Drum Majors

Dean at Phantom, dude was amazing. I'll never forget being at the TOC show in New Jersey 2012 where it started to rain. The staff wanted to end the show there, Dean didn't flinch and kept the show going. Loved that, we were all so jazzed because of him. If Dean pulls the corps out at that point, i don't know what the rest of the night would have been. Most corps ended up still performing but without electronics (except i think BD and Crown)

That season also had Thompson Vou at Boston who was a tremendous DM in his own right. If you sat close enough to the front you could hear his intensity with every stomp on the podium. SCV had Justin Cunha that year too, who was probably my favorite SCV DM since I started following the activity in 09. 

2012 was a good year for drum majors. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, whitedj2002 said:

James Gulke BD 92-98

Ralph Silverbrand..Hawthorne Cabs

Al Saia...  Princemen

Christian Baughman ..Colts

Emily Neuendorf.. Colts

Wally Curtis..Majestic Knights

Buddy Kennedy.. St . Kevins

And of course Kristi Spears

21 hours ago, Cleveland1 said:

Dean at Phantom, dude was amazing. I'll never forget being at the TOC show in New Jersey 2012 where it started to rain. The staff wanted to end the show there, Dean didn't flinch and kept the show going. Loved that, we were all so jazzed because of him. If Dean pulls the corps out at that point, i don't know what the rest of the night would have been. Most corps ended up still performing but without electronics (except i think BD and Crown)

That season also had Thompson Vou at Boston who was a tremendous DM in his own right. If you sat close enough to the front you could hear his intensity with every stomp on the podium. SCV had Justin Cunha that year too, who was probably my favorite SCV DM since I started following the activity in 09. 

2012 was a good year for drum majors. 

Dean had the perfect presence for a Phantom Regiment drum major. Especially for the productions he conducted for, he just helped bring out the emotion in every show

• Like 1

Some favorites of mine in addition to those who may not have been mentioned already (most of these I don't have names for and I apologize in advance):

Stuart Shulman (SCV '02-5): his looks, professionalism, and intensity make him the most mature-looking DCI drum major I've ever seen.

Glassmen 2002 Drum Major: he made the wink cool long before 2016.

Madison Scouts '97: pirate flag + camera during sustained chord (need I say more?); still cost them a 0.1 penalty but totally worth it!

Cadets of Bergen County '97, Blue Devils '99 & Madison Scouts '04: look like they're about to go super saiyan at the very end of their shows.

Madison Scouts '75: My man nearly falls of the podium throwing his hat towards the crowd; if that isn't hype I don't know what is.

Charles Stewart (Bluecoats '94): Sunglasses + chill= swag2 

Stacey Slack (Bluecoats '98): That dance on the podium during "Summertime" is unforgettable.

Brandon Barrometti (Cavaliers '02): One of the most humble and professional drum majors I've ever seen.

"Murderer" of Will Pitts during "Spartacus" (again sorry on missing name): Great dramatic moment and very engaging in his own right.

Norman Dziedzic (Cavaliers '85-7): It takes a special kind of drum major to conduct 2 time signatures simultaneously during "Variations on a Korean Folk Song"; same goes for all SCV drum majors who conducted "Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra" over the years (even The Cadets had to use 2 drum majors on the main podium during their 2001 rendition).

Jonathan Powell (Blue Stars 2008-09? possibly more): Intensity through the roof.

Michael Hayes (SCV '98-9): Personified the corps' hunger for a title those years.

Cadets '89: Catching red flag such a striking exclamation point on end of "Attack on Rue Plumet".

Becky Saddlemeyer (Star of Indiana): You could tell all the way from the stands that she had a heart of gold (at least I think so).

Emily Neuendorf (Colts '97-9): Conveyed such genuine, palpable emotion on the podium.

Reggie Brown (Spirit of Atlanta '86): Can I get an amen? Hallelujah!

Edited by Hopeless Nostalgic
word choice

On 8/6/2018 at 11:56 AM, Tim K said:

A few names that come to mind

Gabe Gallegos of Troopers will go down as one of the great showpersons of DCI and from what I heard was both proud and humbled, not to mention surprised at winning the Jones Award last year.

After yesterday's age out performance.  Yes.  I'm gonna remember that look on his face at the end of the show where he claps for them one more time, sighs, then looks down for a "second of eternity" before leaving the platform.

• Like 2

Roderick Saunders Phantom 94 and 95, just because he was an album from my high school and he made pulling that baton out look good.

Becky Terry Crossmen a few years in the mid ots. She was one of those truly awesome people that marched bones forever and I had the honor of marching with her.

15 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

After yesterday's age out performance.  Yes.  I'm gonna remember that look on his face at the end of the show where he claps for them one more time, sighs, then looks down for a "second of eternity" before leaving the platform.

Gave really demonstrated how emotional that last performance is for age outs, especially for someone who has been DM for four marching seasons.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Gave really demonstrated how emotional that last performance is for age outs, especially for someone who has been DM for four marching seasons.

It was this years "all the feels" moment for me.