Iconic Drum Majors

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Ok!

(btw, I like your Chocolate lab.  I want one too.)

It's our daughters dog.  Three girls have been bugging parents for a couple of years.  Name is L.C. for Little Compton, RI.

Edited by Ghost
  • Thanks 1

I'll put two names that no one will know....

Pete Montanez....Geneseo Knights

Carleen Tesavis....Royal Coachmen (1972-76) Won many best drum major awards too.

It would be great to see videos of many of these names. Admittedly, I’ve heard of many, but not all, and would love to see them!

On 11/10/2020 at 8:23 AM, tesmusic said:

It would be great to see videos of many of these names. Admittedly, I’ve heard of many, but not all, and would love to see them!

1981 Santa Clara Vanguard - Mike Zapanta
Unfortunately the video I found cannot be embedded so you will have to click on the link below.
Vanguard had one Drum Major that year.  He was just so smooth.  I watched him when they were in Hamilton, Ontario and was in awe at how polished he was.  He made it look so easy.
The example shown is from their "Young Person's Guide" piece.  
Look at his legs as he is conducting from a time when Drum Majors marked time on the podium.  They are so straight that they look like pistons. The white bucks make it even more visible. 
At the 1:20 mark as Vanguard transitions into their percussion solo, he gets off the podium, walks to the left hand side and watches for the entire duration of the solo.  That percussion section was so well oiled they didn't need a Drum Major during their solo so he didn't even pretend.
He gets in front of the podium at the 2:05 mark, does some sort of a salute and then back on the podium for the brass entry. 
At the 2:30 mark he gets off the podium again as Vanguard rotates the form from right to center field. 
At the 3:10 mark he makes his way to center field, turns around and conducts each section of brass as they proceed forward. 
At the 3:50 mark he's back on the podium conducting the dual time signatures at the end of the piece. 

https://youtu.be/8eFbOEmPReQ

Edited by Continental

• 1 month later...