Prelims - August 6, 2018

8 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Actors reading the phone book.

How is GE rewarding shows that the fans like when BD has won with boring shows most of the last how many years? I think shows would get more entertaining, not less, if designers didn't feel like they had to follow a specific formula to try and win.

On 8/6/2018 at 8:42 PM, corps8294 said:

Pioneer is a lower tier open class corps masquerading as a world class corps. 

They’ll be fending off the 12th place open class corps (Shadow) that caps their membership to those in grades 8-12  Sad. 

Edited by Brian Tuma

5 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

They’ll be fending off the 12th place open class corps (Shadow) that caps their membership to those in grades 8-12  Sad. 

If this season doesn't serve as the final wake-up call for Pioneer; then it truly is time to fold the corps. I still believe the best options for that organization are: drop down to open class, go DCA, become an alumni parade corps, or fold. 

14 hours ago, corps8294 said:

If this season doesn't serve as the final wake-up call for Pioneer; then it truly is time to fold the corps. I still believe the best options for that organization are: drop down to open class, go DCA, become an alumni parade corps, or fold. 

Or SoundSport.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2018 at 6:56 AM, corps8294 said:

I don’t think Pioneer’s issues are going to be solved by doing to Open Class or DCA. I don’t think folding is a solution either. Talent in the corps is not the issue. Show conception and design are problems, but a better designed show would not have solved this year’s issues. Pioneer is a corps with good intentions, but has problems making the good intentions a reality, then when issues arise, and in the case of this past season serious issues, everything goes amuck. It’s also what happens when duties are not delegated. 

Open class to me is developing into an umbrella for two types of corps. One, corps that want to get experience before moving to WC. Music City and Genesis are recent examples of such corps. Open class is also a place where corps can find their niche, provide opportunities often for younger members or college students that the shorter tour allows time to earn money for school. The seriousness and dedication is not all that different from WC corps. If anything, the management issues would become more glaring in OC. 

Pioneer has to begin by looking at itself organizationally. The question is will it happen?

• Like 1

On 8/8/2018 at 5:56 AM, corps8294 said:

Why in the world would you go from a division that pays you where you can pay the bills to one that does not.  No one in their right mind would ever drop back down.  It's not about scores, it's about $$.

What is their mission statement?  

That answers all the questions you need to understand.   This is how they operate.  Do they need to fold?  Not unless they're are financially in trouble.  Do they need to drop to Open Class?  Not unless they want to give back their return on investment into DCI World Class.  (yes, that's an incredibly stupid idea, they get paid from their share of DCI) This isn't premier league where the bottom placing group gets sent down after throwing billions away on stadium upgrades for television.  It's a youth activity.   

Some will not agree that financially stable, continuously operating within their means, and continuing to build good humans is a success, but they're still there, and doing those things.  Are they a destination corps?  Likely not.  Are they a corps to get your start in? Sure.  

But if they're ok with what they present, and they're financially stable doing so, who cares?  To be honest, if you do anything in this activity, and are financially solid that's deserves at least a 12 pack of PBR and a hug.  Do we want to see success within the ranks for them, sure.  Frankly, i'm surprised at what they provide to their students for the cost.  https://pioneer-corps.org/join/fees-membership-dues.html   You get quite a bit for the price of an ok used car. 

I'd bet $5 that Kiwanis Kavaliers, Suncoast Sound, 27th, Glassmen and all the others would trade some of their success, for prolonged financial stability.  Because as long as they're surviving, they'll live to fight another day.  And if they have a desire to move up the ranks, they can do it at their own pace. 

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 3

On 8/8/2018 at 5:56 AM, corps8294 said:

Drop down to Open Class

EDIT: Already covered by several people ... there's no financial incentive. They're better off staying WC.

Go DCA

That would be a hard sell to students in the WI/IL area, who generally don't care or know nothing about DCA and wouldn't want to commit to a schedule that goes into Labor Day. Kilties probably aren't coming back as a DCA corps, so they could fill a little bit of that vacuum, but Pioneer as an all-age corps would be a disaster.

And again: no financial reason to change circuits.

Alumni Parade Corps

... Why?

Fold

... that's an odd thing to say ...

-----------------------

I understand there are a lot of issues with this corps, but this is the same organization that puts out a quality product at WGI every year ... so they're not completely out-of-touch. Pioneer ultimately wants to be a youth organization ... they're not very good at many aspects of it, but these are fixable problems (depending on who's in charge).

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar
reasons