What is Innovative about Babylon?

36 minutes ago, DCIDADDIO said:

Not insulting BD at all. They are the best drum corps in the land and they have proved it 18 times! They know what they are doing and i’m Sure you know that too. But your Babel tower reference was flawed and my corellary although anecdotal, was accurate. We can just agree that there are different strokes for different folks. 

Hahaha! No, it's not the same thing and my reference was NOT flawed. BD show concentrates on the stories of the characters in the painting. They take a literal painting backdrop and build that. The Tower of Babel thing is more figurative, and I don't see it out of their show. If they went to some huge and tall stage at the end, that would be cool...and maybe it will happen. Two great corps going at it. I like all of the top three. They all have their pros and cons. Not my favorite BD show lately by a longshot, but I haven't seen live since Riverside. I'll never count them out though. I love SCV's show, but was mostly getting across that it should be okay to NOT have a theme. You attending this week? Maybe I'll buy you a beer.

Edited by BDCorno
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tommeee said:

When I watch the bit where Greg Lagola explains the design of the uniforms, that's where it loses me.  The justification they use for choosing a design like that is crazy.  They don't even fit right.  If he had done something like that when he was with the Cadets, it would have been roundly ridiculed.

Are the uniforms innovative?  Are they artistic?  Are they popular?  I don't think so.  But who knows, 20 years from now, I might look back at them and love them!

I love love love this topic!!!  It's forcing me to question MYSELF!  Do I want to see innovation, or do I want to see OLD SCHOOL?

Respectfully, and without knowing your age or fashion tendencies, it's not that the uniforms don't fit: the"uniform" is in the current style.  I personally would love to own a pair of those joggers. I think they're looking to connect with younger fans with those uniforms. 

5 minutes ago, mfrontz47 said:

Respectfully, and without knowing your age or fashion tendencies, it's not that the uniforms don't fit: the"uniform" is in the current style.  I personally would love to own a pair of those joggers. I think they're looking to connect with younger fans with those uniforms. 

Perhaps. I'm okay with the general design itself. The saggy pants that straighten out with the boots seems to be a very much intentional look (maybe intended to hide a bit of visual dirt? Not that it's ended up being an issue for them), but the mesh underneath their tops doesn't fit right at all on many of them. They hike up, and mid-drifts popping out all over the place looks really sloppy in many of the bigger choreography moments. Luckily the members are performing the heck out of those moments and selling it on their own. I just wonder how much better it would look if they had ever fixed them, made them a tiny bit longer, tucked them in, etc.

I REALLY love this show.  The SCV show is the main reason why I am going to Indianapolis this year. Saw it live in June and since then the videos have been making me mad with wanting to see it again live. The energy is phenomenal and yes, I have watched a video over 50 times and am still finding new things in the performance.  I really hope the videographers in Indy can catch most of it.  I don’t know if it is “innovative”, but is it certainly distinctive and a not to be missed production. And I LOVE the uniforms, they look phenomenal on the field.

That being said, it seems to me that so many of the other corps have REALLY wonderful shows this year.

A very good year for drum corp....imho.

5 hours ago, Bluzes said:

Hi, Cappy just checked in across from LOS. They remodeled real nice (to good for Corps Fan). Two large PC's for Guests just changed screensavers to Beast & Nighthawks. Will keep up all week.

Babylon is full of GE especially GE1, Bloo usually grabs GE2. GE, as we know, is hard to pin down. SCV's horn show grabs my attention the most this year. In content and execution, that is what will win it alone Then the guard takes over and grabs your attention. Drums SCV have consistently done well any differences there are small and as we learned from Crown can be worked around. They very well may win w/o any caption award but don't see them losing GE.

SCV's book is a deep dive into jazz which is not what they are known for but are pulling it off better than the old hats. The Ballad is the icing on the cake, just wonderful. The ending could change and make the show even better. GE is in the eye of the beholder this time I think the judges got it right. 

This isn't really about whether the judges are getting it right. I think the judges get it right every year (there may be one or two years I disagree with but I digress). 

This is about the way we discuss and describe SCV's show 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mfrontz47 said:

Uh I'm in my early 20's so I'm very much in the young age group your talking about. Joggers look nothing like that, they're much more form fitting (especially in the crotch areas than what SCV is wearing

50 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Uh I'm in my early 20's so I'm very much in the young age group your talking about. Joggers look nothing like that, they're much more form fitting (especially in the crotch areas than what SCV is wearing

You sound a little disappointed...

• Haha 2

Just now, skevinp said:

You sound a little disappointed...

Hahaha I was just correcting him but I can see how it comes off that way:spitting:

Really though, I'm just not a fan of the baggy look they have. It's just weird to look at 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Yeah, if I had to run in those, I'd have chafing for years...