It factor or just GE galore: Santa Clara Vanguard, Blue Devils, Bluecoats and Crown, which show (show design, execution, engagement, complexity) is most innovative for the 2018?

3 minutes ago, c mor said:

I thought it was Santa Clara who first did asymmetric drill.  

Maybe this is where the Steve Jobs quote, "Good artists borrow, great artists steal," comes in...

3 hours ago, ouooga said:

How do you feel Phantom 08 modified the set? Or even Academy 16 for that matter, unless you're referring to the chairs/gravestones.

What I mean by modifying the set is that the show starts with the fielding looking one way, and ends looking different, but the middle part doesn't have members pushing props around all the while to get there. So Boston enters the field, and there's a forest on one end, an empty fire pit at the bottom. By the end, the fire is going strong and the forest has been chopped down. The corps' story has modified what the field looked like.

But those other ones you mentioned, those are all just props. Effective props, just like SCV's disappearing phantom prop in 88/89 was an effective prop, but props. BD moves props around the field to alter the visual element at the moment, which is a different format entirely IMO. Cadets, ya, I'll give you 11, but it's really just the big field tarps at the end, and arguably you could take/leave those and the show would be largely the same.

Keep in mind, there's no rubric or definition of this stuff as far as I know, and everything I mentioned absolutely falls into that grey area. So this is definitely just my $.02.

Tilt most definitely falls into this discussion. Very similar in many ways to SOS.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, c mor said:

I thought it was Santa Clara who first did asymmetric drill.  

That's been discussed over the years.   You'll have to compare the two corps shows for both 82 & 83.  Some have typed that it started even a year or so earlier, not like Garfield did starting in 83, but similar blocks with that style of drill.

For pure innovation across the board, I have to give it to the Bluecoats.  Their show looks and sounds different than any other.  Plus they are the first corps (that i am aware of) to integrate a vocalist so completely into the story arc of the show.  The costuming is also very creative, but also the most far afield of what traditional drum corps used to be.  (I miss the helmets :(

For the most innovative props, I vote for Vanguard.  The nesting cages are used so efficiently/interestingly and they also appear to be easily moved.  But what makes this show work so well is the theatrics, which aren't necessarily innovative.

For the most innovative USE of props, I vote for BD.  The way the painting comes together and you didn't even notice it happening.  Brilliant.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1

Since the OP’s question is “which is THE most innovative of the 4 corps mentioned, I will say Bluecoats. Not because they are original with their signer, but because they’ve been flawless all season long in avoiding electronic hiccups that others have had with field mics. 

They doubled down what others have done and hit a home run this year. 

“Hat’s off” to the Bluecoats!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Since the OP’s question is “which is THE most innovative of the 4 corps mentioned, I will say Bluecoats. Not because they are original with their signer, but because they’ve been flawless all season long in avoiding electronic hiccups that others have had with field mics.  

Bluecoats could probably write a manual for D&BC as how to use electronics for the best effects.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1