It factor or just GE galore: Santa Clara Vanguard, Blue Devils, Bluecoats and Crown, which show (show design, execution, engagement, complexity) is most innovative for the 2018?

54 minutes ago, skevinp said:

My high school band did asymmetric drill years earlier.

Though not on purpose.

Mine too...albeit unintentionally.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, luv4corps said:

For pure innovation across the board, I have to give it to Bluecoats.  Their show looks and sounds different than any other.  Plus they are the first corps (that i am aware of) to integrate a vocalist so completely into the story arc of the show.  The costuming is also very creative, but also the most far afield of what traditional drum corps used to be.  (I miss the helmets :(

For the most innovative props, I vote for Vanguard.  The nesting cages are used so efficiently/interestingly and they also appear to be easily moved.  But what makes this show work so well is the theatrics, which aren't necessarily innovative.

For the most innovative USE of props, I vote for BD.  The way the painting comes together and you didn't even notice it happening.  Brilliant.

I think my favorite part of BD's props is that the horn and guard staging is such a way that your attention becomes directed away from the props while they're being moved so that once you shift your focus back, they're magically in a new spot without you realizing it. Brilliant visual design 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Maybe this is where the Steve Jobs quote, "Good artists borrow, great artists steal," comes in...

That is actually Steve Jobs quoting Pablo Picasso. 

1 minute ago, quietcity said:

That is actually Steve Jobs quoting Pablo Picasso. 

But who was Pablo Picasso quoting? :laughing:

• Haha 2

Was floored by SCV. You know you have that it factor when a little girl who hardly watched any corps and was so disengaged suddenly perks up and is captivated by SCV the entire time.  At the end she was clapping, yelling and jumping. We sat next to such girl this year at a show. That’s how special Vanguard is this year. 

Personally I’m playing and listening to Coats the most this year. Their arrangements are just my cup of tea. 

In the end, I think we’ll get the Blurays and realize just how complicated and amazing BD was this year. 

• Like 4

Of the top 4 corps I have to give it to Bluecoats.  They may not be the first corps to use electronics and a pitch blend, but in 2014 they became the first corps to get it right.  They do the same this year, but with a vocalist.  Innovation means nothing unless it's done right.   Bluecoats is the most innovative corps this year just like they were in 2014 and 2016 because they got it right.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I think my favorite part of BD's props is that the horn and guard staging is such a way that your attention becomes directed away from the props while they're being moved so that once you shift your focus back, they're magically in a new spot without you realizing it. Brilliant visual design 

Yes, exactly.  Almost plays like something an illusionist would do.

On 8/7/2018 at 2:30 PM, kdaddy said:

No corps has put a dragon on the field, right?

So if the Beast was a dragon...and used a BAC fire coming out of its jaws while sitting on a giant chair, in an urban outfit holding a classic painting.... I think we might have next years winning show design. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

SCV was by far the winner.  Remember several years back when BDs were given hell for their aggressive avant garde shows.  This years show was really good but came off a bit olde hat.  Well they will come out swinging next year.  Watch out.  

• Like 1