best corps names

Long time fans here will remember the Watkins Glen ( NY ) Squires. DCI Broadcaster Steve " Rondo " Rondinaro marched with them in his youth. They were a pretty good Corps around the late 70's or so time period. Almost made DCI Top 12 one season if memory serves.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I'm wondering if this thread should be moved to the historical forum, perhaps?

Why?  Are we having too much fun?  :15_yum:

Nobody would see this in the Historical Forum.  Besides World Class corps mentioned include SCV, Phantom and Crown, all from this century. 

That makes this thread both topical and fun.  :27_sunglasses:

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Great thread........

My faves:

Phantom Regiment...ding ding ding........that's the winner

Sky Ryders

27th Lancers

Boston Crusaders

Santa Clara Vanguard

Garfield Cadets

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BigW said:

If you knew some of the characters that marched there as Jim and I have, you would be traumatized if you did that. Especially Chumley and Happy Birthday JJ. :laugh:

Get the Draino out to wash Chumley in chocolate out of my eyes. And Ted Arndt, Bowser(?), Brian Shell, Richie Sennett. Man I could have had a blast with that corps too just not too competitive 

9 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Boston Crusaders

I've always liked Boston Crusaders, but never Boston Area Crusaders.  Wierd.

9 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Garfield Cadets

I am with you on Garfield.  The Cadets is a cool name but Garfield was the legend and the name I learned to love when I first discovered drum corps.

I made the change to only calling them "The Cadets" our of respect for the corps but I never liked it.  :27_sunglasses:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Get the Draino out to wash Chumley in chocolate out of my eyes. And Ted Arndt, Bowser(?), Brian Shell, Richie Sennett. Man I could have had a blast with that corps too just not too competitive 

Dear God, it's your fault you mentioned Teddy and Rich. :laugh:

Well... they were a pretty serious party corps.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CrossmenAlumni said:

Many people know that the Crossmen were formed in 1975 as a merger corps between two long-time southeast Pennsylvania rivals, the Keystone Regiment and the 507th Hornets. They may also know that the name "Crossmen" was derived from the 507th American Legion Post in Norwood, PA, which was named after a World War I veteran named John Wesley Cross.

What they might not know was that it was the members themselves of this new "supercorps" who actually chose the Crossmen name in a "Name The Corps" contest. Below is the actual sheet of paper with the many suggested names for the corps and a check mark next to the eventual winner. I've always loved this bit of history because the members were so inventive with their suggestions. And some of these names make me wonder "what if" in a very delightful way (#12, #26, #39 and especially #43!).

Enjoy! :biggrin:

IMG_4159.jpg

I was just thinking about that while scrolling threw this.  And you have it.

Here's another good corps name:  Iron Cross (Crossmen's short-lived feeder corps)

And the 507 Hornets had a feeder corps called the Stingers.

Edited by barigirl78
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Why?  Are we having too much fun?  :15_yum:

Nobody would see this in the Historical Forum.  Besides World Class corps mentioned include SCV, Phantom and Crown.  That makes this thread both topical and fun.  :27_sunglasses:

Yep... good points.  You're right... the other forum is not exactly well-trafficked. :tongue:

• Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Long time fans here will remember the Watkins Glen ( NY ) Squires. DCI Broadcaster Steve " Rondo " Rondinaro marched with them in his youth. They were a pretty good Corps around the late 70's or so time period. Almost made DCI Top 12 one season if memory serves.

Really liked this corps. I loved that their feeder corps was called the Paiges.

• Like 1