best corps names

18 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I've always liked Boston Crusaders, but never Boston Area Crusaders.  Wierd.

For a time in the mid-1980s, there was some dispute about whether BAC could use the name "Boston Crusaders.''' I don't know the details of what the problem was.  Perhaps Brasso or someone else can fill us in here.

So... they called themselves "The Boston Drum and Bugle Corps" for that period.

1 minute ago, Fran Haring said:

For a time in the mid-1980s, there was some dispute about whether BAC could use the name "Boston Crusaders.''' I don't know the details of what the problem was.  Perhaps Brasso or someone else can fill us in here.

It may have come about with the financial troubles they had from their Europe trip, which was not caused by the mm.

4 minutes ago, Ghost said:

It may have come about with the financial troubles they had from their Europe trip, which was not caused by the mm.

That's pretty much it.  The corps was in receivership.  Once all debt was cleared up the Boston Crusaders name was allowed to be used.  However when it was The Boston corps it was all Boston Crusaders working with it to bring back the name, furthering the legacy and confirming the words to Giant.

and here they are today.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Yes, around 1980, they were just "Boston".

54 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

I was just thinking about that while scrolling threw this.  And you have it.

Here's another good corps name:  Iron Cross (Crossmen's short-lived feeder corps)

And the 507 Hornets had a feeder corps called the Stingers.

I believe the Iron Cross only lasted two seasons as the Crossmen feeder corps, 1979-1980.

In 1979, their Class A Championship score in Birmingham, AL was (drum roll, please) .....12.05, good for 18th (and last) place

In 1980, their score improved a whopping two points at the same event to a 14.05, but alas they dropped to 21st (and still last) place

And this was under the tick system. I can only imagine what the judges' comments were like on the tapes or sheets. :ohmy:

A guy who marched in the Crossmen in those days told me that he never remembered seeing the Iron Cross practicing all that much back then, but apparently they did like to play frisbee a lot! 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, gak27 said:

I thought for sure you were going to use this uniform pic:

BhHUsTzW60ouhQ0IzBSCrn2f7AsUQd3p9LZTwYkA

Those hats always reminded me of the Flying Nun!

3 hours ago, gak27 said:

I thought for sure you were going to use this uniform pic:

BhHUsTzW60ouhQ0IzBSCrn2f7AsUQd3p9LZTwYkA

And to think how much angst has been on display over the Scout's costumes.

10 minutes ago, CrossmenAlumni said:

I believe the Iron Cross only lasted two seasons as the Crossmen feeder corps, 1979-1980.

In 1979, their Class A Championship score in Birmingham, AL was (drum roll, please) .....12.05, good for 18th (and last) place

In 1980, their score improved a whopping two points at the same event to a 14.05, but alas they dropped to 21st (and still last) place

And this was under the tick system. I can only imagine what the judges' comments were like on the tapes or sheets. :ohmy:

A guy who marched in the Crossmen in those days told me that he never remembered seeing the Iron Cross practicing all that much back then, but apparently they did like to play frisbee a lot! 

My laughing face above was referring to the frisbee playing not the scores

• Like 2

Sitting here in Bloomington might influence this a bit, but I'll be the second person to toss out Star of Indiana. The structure of the name is different than most, even years after the Great Folding.

• Like 1

How about Criterions from eastern NY state. Cool name or wth?