best corps names

Ok took a while to remember this one from before my time: 60s senior corps Warren PA Cornplanters. Google Chief Cornplanter for info 

• Like 1

A Few International Corps

Keynsham Cavaliers - has a nice ring to it

Blue Diamonds Nienhagen Germany

Beatrix Hilversum

Forgemen (UK) 

Kingston & Malden Scouts & Guides 

Kidsgrove Scouts 

Kidsgrove Juniors

Woelper Loewen Germany

Neustadt am Rübenberge 

Jubal

Kamper Trompetter Korps 

Renaissance Vanguard Soka 

Reveille St Fulgent France

Revolution Show Corps UK

Yokohama Inspires 

Yokohama Robins 

Yokohama Scouts 

Hoechster Schlossgarde Germany

• Like 1

1971 Sounds of Suffolk champions were the Regimentals from Farmingdale NY. Sunriser legend, Larry Visconti, spent his entire junior corps career in that corps.

41 minutes ago, regimental1 said:

1971 Sounds of Suffolk champions were the Regimentals from Farmingdale NY. Sunriser legend, Larry Visconti, spent his entire junior corps career in that corps.

in what Class?

Sounds of Suffolk had 8 classifications, very similar to Boston CY circuit. S.O.S. included standstill corps, training corps,  minimal experiences, shorter shows, bell & drum, small corps and larger. L.I. Kingsmen came from that Circuit and eventually placed 15th in DCI World Class. Class E was comprised of the Ancient Fife and Drum Corps such as Bayport F.D. Red Devils and sometimes Bethpage Colonials.

52 minutes ago, regimental1 said:

1971 Sounds of Suffolk champions were the Regimentals from Farmingdale NY. Sunriser legend, Larry Visconti, spent his entire junior corps career in that corps

John Arientino of Sunrisers fame and more was in the Little Falls Cadets 1967-68 maybe more I was drafted lost track.

14 minutes ago, xandandl said:

L.I. Kingsmen

Great corps, very competitive, held their own. Great Music

The Regimentals competed in the Long Island Circuit with the Kingsmen, Wynn Center Toppers and other pretty good local corps. The 1970 Championship recording is still available. As far as different classes in the Sound of Suffolk shows, I was a kid at the time and have no idea.

9 minutes ago, regimental1 said:

The Regimentals competed in the Long Island Circuit with the Kingsmen, Wynn Center Toppers and other pretty good local corps. The 1970 Championship recording is still available. As far as different classes in the Sound of Suffolk shows, I was a kid at the time and have no idea.

I know OLMM Orbits and St. Matthias (both Ridgewood) were in that LIMM circuit; Jeff Sacktig started his marching career in St. Matthias, then called the Blue Max. St. Ignatius would also make appearances, Smithtown Freelancers (Wayne Downey's first corps) died out in that circuit and Wayne's family moved to California. Selden Cadets rarely ever competed on LI, although they did a lot of parades. Big diminishment in the number of corps on LI from 1965 to the beginning of DCI in 72. Viet Nam war pulled a lot of the male members away, costs went up (to support the war,) and the size of an individual corps doubled, breaking down the smaller less financed corps. Many of the drum corps families were involved in the defense industry and saw their jobs (Grumman, Sperry, Gyrodyne, Republic, etc.) transferred across the nation as the jobs went with the defense contracts.

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

I know OLMM Orbits and St. Matthias (both Ridgewood) were in that LIMM circuit;

1980's - 90's Sound Of Long Island nice corps, Caballero look with red sash, white jackets & white hats. 

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

I know OLMM Orbits and St. Matthias (both Ridgewood) were in that LIMM circuit;

Is this corps still active? Funded like the corps of the 60's good for them.

The Long Island Ambassadors is a completely self-sponsored parade and exhibition organization receiving no sponsorship support or grants. All of our funding comes from performance in local and regional parades and the income from which is used to fund that the corps’ and member’s performance needs. We never charge a fee for membership and provide all the equipment, instruction and uniforms necessary to perform at no cost to the members. Our goal is to provide a positive learning and performance environment to train young through old adults in the art of drum and bugle corps musical performance.