best corps names

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

I know OLMM Orbits and St. Matthias (both Ridgewood) were in that LIMM circuit; 

Another wonderful drum corps from Long Island.

Long Island Blue Jays Jr. Drum & Bugle Corps.

We are a junior corps with the members aged 9 to 19+. The members need NO experience, our teachers are alumni of drum corps with over 50 yrs experience. Needed are kids with the love of music and fun. We have openings in DRUMS BUGLE(trumpet) BARITONE (trombone) MELOPHONE (french horn) CONTRABASS (tuba) and in COLOR GUARD
*** Practice is on Tuesday's and on Thursdays in Sayville, NY.

***More Info E-Mail us "Email: libluejays@yahoo.com

9 hours ago, Bluzes said:

Another wonderful drum corps from Long Island.

Long Island Blue Jays Jr. Drum & Bugle Corps.

We are a junior corps with the members aged 9 to 19+. The members need NO experience, our teachers are alumni of drum corps with over 50 yrs experience. Needed are kids with the love of music and fun. We have openings in DRUMS BUGLE(trumpet) BARITONE (trombone) MELOPHONE (french horn) CONTRABASS (tuba) and in COLOR GUARD
*** Practice is on Tuesday's and on Thursdays in Sayville, NY.

***More Info E-Mail us "Email: libluejays@yahoo.com

This parade corps was in a minor classification in S.O.S. and never did LIM&M or Greater NY. Lately they seem to have stayed the parade corps for the  Sayville FD with past members doing some of the indoor senior & alumni winter concerts/contests. If they ever reached a total of sixty members at any performance, I think George Tuthill and Ralph  Parkhill who both were long time instructors there and for West Sayville Golden Eagles would be turning in their grave.

Edited by xandandl

The Regimentals last year was 1971. Most of the members had been in the corps for years and the majority reached college age at the same time. We did get to work with Hy  Dreitzer that last year. The Regimentals also had a very strong winter guard program with both a girls and boys guard that competed in the LI and Garden State Circuits.

Phantom Regiment is the bar, but I've always thought Spirit of Atlanta was right up there. Why is it a good name? Some theories:

• As with Phantom, SoA doesn't have/need an article, The.
  • As with Phantom, Sprit is an ethereal word -- formless, mysterious, able to be shaped by the imagination. You can't do that with a Brigade or a Scout or a Cadet.
  • The name also is a pleasing rhythm. It has a cadence. Santa Clara Vanguard is another with a good rhythm
  • It is fun to announce, and doesn't make the announcer sound foolish ("Kalamazoo Kiltie Kadets, you may take the field . . .")
  • The idea of "spirit" is well-suited to the drum-corps idiom. It conjures a sense of emotional connection
  • The nickname, "Spirit," may be even better than "Phantom." The only corps with nicknames of equal caliber might be Bones and Two-Seven.
  • It eschews alliteration, which I hate, hate, hate. Alliteration was a bigger deal BITD, and thankfully has fallen out of fashion, mostly (looking at you, Crown)
  • It looks great in written form. The first and last words each have a balanced distribution of a single vowel. Elegant.
  • It has a geographic element, which gives it an identity. And it's a major, muscular metropolitan area, so it doesn't have to work hard to introduce itself. The only other active corps with that kind of thing going for it is Boston.
Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

Fusion Corps

1 hour ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Phantom Regiment is the bar, but I've always thought Spirit of Atlanta was right up there. Why is it a good name? Some theories:

If I ever win the lottery they would be         wait for it         Starsight & Sound Drum & Gvalve Corps     it's up for grabs in case you win the lottery.

The VICS of Montreal Qc.  From the Victoria Rifles in Montreal.

On 8/22/2018 at 1:03 PM, Bluzes said:

Canadian Drum Corps - My favorite drum corps names. A good trivia question - how many Canadian corps names started with LES - too many to list here.                                     Corps from Quebec had the most colorful uniforms that even today's attire would be jealous. Not that any of us Red Blooded Americans Boys ever noticed but the Quebec corps were very uninhibited in where they changed into their uniforms. When they traveled to North Jersey for shows there was no housing. The boys went home with the boys and girls with the girls. Not often but occasionally they would not speak English and I told my parents and brother to just point to things, fun times here goes with just a few.         

Calgary Cavaliers - has a really nice ring to it!!!!

Chevaliers - River du Loup Que - an even better ring to it! If the Cavies ever go co-ed this name is taken

L'Odysee -Montreal QUE

Academie Musicale - Sherbrooke Que

Majestics - Sorel Que

Alberta Girls - Edmonton ALB

Bytown Gunners - Ottawa ONT

Allegiance Elite - Calgary ALB

Alouette - Charlesbourg QUE

"Les" just means "The" in French.  So  it's not that all our corps names started with Les - kinda like "The Cavaliers" or "The Blue Devils"..... and yes, we are much more uninhibited when it comes to our bodies in Canada - changing outside right in the middle of a full parking lot was just normal to us - I always found it weird how Americans reacted to this - especially when I went and marched an American corps - good times - hahahaha

Mike

Edited by Guardguy89