Good Morning DCP stop by and share your love for singing in shows

Olivia from the Bluecoats is outstanding and for my money the best use of a vocalist ever in drum corps. She greatly enhances Session 44. In fact, I can’t imagine the show without her.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 3

This one's a blast from the past, but Cadets 06 ballad is incredibly underappreciated, and was the first time I really felt like singing might have a place in this activity when used properly.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shawn craig said:

Totally disagree. No reason why the singers are there. Didn't add a thing to the show. Didn't understand anything they said. Do they sing words or in English?

English is not the only language in which music is written. 

Personally, I am not a fan of singing. However, I believe the singers add a lot in Cadets ballad, especially in the beginning of it. 

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

English is not the only language in which music is written. 

Personally, I am not a fan of singing. However, I believe the singers add a lot in Cadets ballad, especially in the beginning of it. 

I know vocal music is written in all languages. I've sung in a few of them, Latin and German especially. Usually when someone or a choir is singing in another language then the audience knows, there's a program with the translation(s) so you have an idea what they're singing about. 

The singers themselves are all fine, I think better than last years. Just didn't add anything to the show for me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shawn craig said:

I know vocal music is written in all languages. I've sung in a few of them, Latin and German especially. Usually when someone or a choir is singing in another language then the audience knows, there's a program with the translation(s) so you have an idea what they're singing about. 

The singers themselves are all fine, I think better than last years. Just didn't add anything to the show for me.

True, but sometimes it's perfectly fine to just listen to how great they are without knowing exactly what they're singing about (emphasis on "sometimes"). 

3 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

True, but sometimes it's perfectly fine to just listen to how great they are without knowing exactly what they're singing about (emphasis on "sometimes"). 

I can never understand any of the lyrics the hornline plays, and I'm fine with that.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, shawn craig said:

Totally disagree. No reason why the singers are there. Didn't add a thing to the show. Didn't understand anything they said. Do they sing words or in English?

Apparently singing is useless without English words huh?

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Olivia from the Bluecoats is outstanding and for my money the best use of a vocalist ever in drum corps. She greatly enhances Session 44. In fact, I can’t imagine the show without her.

Fortunately, neither could Bloo design team...especially Doug Thrower (brass arranger).  He actually wrote an early version of  "Dry Cleaner" without vocals then told the team this piece REQUIRES a vocalist.  Fortunately some of the team had worked with Union HS in Tulsa...the rest is Bloo history :-)

I am also a big fan of the Cadets vocal quartet this year.  Awesome singers that also work great within that show.

Would probably like Cavies and Colts singing IF IT WERE LIVE.

• Like 3

Bluecoat's vocalist is my favorite of the season. Probably the greatest incorporation of vocalist with music in my opinion, with Boston '17 not too far behind.

Cadets vocalist are great and I like how they march too in some parts, but their ballad is the only place where to me the vocalist really added something needed and special.

Boston's opening vocalists sets the mood well. I give props to their team for not pushing unnecessary vocals despite great success last year with them.

Crossmen's vocalist is tasteful and fits well with the song. 

• Like 3