Good Morning DCP stop by and share your love for singing in shows

Here's a throwback.  BAC 2000 - Red.  

The full corps singing was amazing.  You could hear a pin drop on finals night as they had the rest before the singing as the whole stadium hushed each other to listen.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, George Dixon said:

as far as “couldn’t understand” - well, they sing in three languages. Ballad is all in Icelandic (except for 3 words in English), sensamaya is in Spanish (based on the poem about the snake) and in the closer a few English phrases from the score song

I think it's reasonable for audiences who don't speak Icelandic or Spanish to respond: this corps is obviously performing for someone other than me.

As also would have been true of Blue Devils' use of (sampled but extensive) French and German narration in 2012.

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Apparently singing is useless without English words huh?

I think most operas include surtitles with translations.

7 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I think most operas include surtitles with translations.

They didn't prior to around the mid-80s (mid-90s at the Met)... ###### younger generation ruining it for everyone!

(I believe the first house to do it was as early as 1983, in Toronto)

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eleran said:

They didn't prior to around the mid-80s (mid-90s at the Met)... ###### younger generation ruining it for everyone!

(I believe the first house to do it was as early as 1983, in Toronto)

That's interesting. Was the audience provided with librettos? Were they just expected to know what was being sung? (In at least ... how many foreign languages? Italian, German, French, Russian, Czech--does that cover the standard repertoire?) Or did they just not care?

7 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Man. Couldn’t disagree more. Arrangements and singers are outstanding. The electronic element is now very well done, early season it was a work in progress. Balance is excellent 

as far as “couldn’t understand” - well, they sing in three languages. Ballad is all in Icelandic (except for 3 words in English), sensamaya is in Spanish (based on the poem about the snake) and in the closer a few English phrases from the score song

they are outstanding and add greatly to the production

Bluecoats singer is also integrated wonderfully, very talented and really adds to the program

Spent some work time in Iceland. Was told it takes a non native 7 years to learn the language fully. And about all Iceland natives speak a second language of English or French as .. well no one else speaks Icelandic except the natives. 

Talked to some College age people and in Rejavick(sp) it was an English accent. In Keflavik near the base and airport it was an American accent. Difference is due to where the English language tapes come from. Lol learned that while pumping gas at local gulp and go 

Had car radio to Icelandic language station because never would have to opportunity again. To me sounded Germanic but no pauses in between words 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

To clarify:

Of course you don't have to sing in English for it to be worthwhile. I even enjoy non-sense scat singing in Jazz. 

I don't read every word of the translation at an opera, but enough to know what the character is feeling; the music does fills in the gaps and sometimes the voice is so beautiful it doesn't matter.

My point is I didn't know the title of the poem or even one line of the lyrics to get the gist of what was being communicated. Nothing in the program notes that I remember to help. The vocals were covered up not balanced well with the horn line, so even the English didn't come across. It appeared pointless to me not really adding a layer of texture etc. I had good seats on the 45 about 3 seats from the judges so that wasn't the problem.

And I agree with all those saying the Bluecoats singer is good and one of the few times in drum coprs singing actual adds to a show.

Edited by shawn craig
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I think it's reasonable for audiences who don't speak Icelandic or Spanish to respond: this corps is obviously performing for someone other than me.

As also would have been true of Blue Devils' use of (sampled but extensive) French and German narration in 2012.

Sure. Or they could have done this because they didn’t want the show to be so literal. Read the translations and you will understand 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shawn craig said:

To clarify:

Of course you don't have to sing in English for it to be worthwhile. I even enjoy non-sense scat singing in Jazz. 

I don't read every word of the translation at an opera, but enough to know what the character is feeling; the music does fills in the gaps and sometimes the voice is so beautiful it doesn't matter.

My point is I didn't know the title of the poem or even one line of the lyrics to get the gist of what was being communicated. Nothing in the program notes that I remember to help. The vocals were covered up not balanced well with the horn line, so even the English didn't come across. It appeared pointless to me not really adding a layer of texture etc. I had good seats on the 45 about 3 seats from the judges so that wasn't the problem.

Cavaliers fan? 

Just now, George Dixon said:

Cavaliers fan? 

No