Good Morning DCP stop by and share your love for singing in shows

1 minute ago, MikeD said:

Choirs sing music written in all sorts of languages. I know I sang music in Latin, German, French and Hebrew in my college days. One of my favorite singers sung most of her music in Chinese (the late Deng Li Jun, the woman in my sig), and I have no idea what the words mean, just that I enjoy listening to her sing. When we went to Portugal, we listened to traditional folk music called Fado, and enjoyed it enough to purchase a couple of CDs, in spite of not knowing any Portugese. 

And I listen to the Arabic music program that airs for two hours here every Saturday evening despite not speaking a word of Arabic because I like the tunes.

But it's still reasonable for audience who find foreign languages off-putting to respond with disdain to Cadets 2018 or BD 2012.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, MikeD said:

"NO one To kNOW one" is a highlight for me of the past decade.

Not on Finals night, I imagine.

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

And I listen to the Arabic music program that airs for two hours here every Saturday evening despite not speaking a word of Arabic because I like the tunes.

But it's still reasonable for audience who find foreign languages off-putting to respond with disdain to Cadets 2018 or BD 2012.

Of course, if somebody needs things to be that literal, they won't like it, and that is fine for them. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mfrontz47 said:

supporting horn line 

Yeah this is just a no-no and pains me to even read. It's drum corps, not High School musical, the hornline shouldn't ever have to be in a supporting role. Trust me, I'm no Dino and I'm completely fine with singing coexisting with everything else in DCI. However the key word is coexist, not "take over" or "overpower"

Anyways, I think I'm straying from the purpose of the topic at hand so I'll leave it at that. 

5 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Of course, if somebody needs things to be that literal, they won't like it, and that is fine for them. 

I think there are more people like that than like us, and that corps should be mindful of audience limitations. As I mentioned in another thread, I took my aunt and uncle to their first-ever show on Monday. They had to leave early, but they saw the Commandant's Own, Mandarins, Crossmen, Cavaliers, and Boston Crusaders. They were shocked by the size of the crowd and they seemed impressed by the spectacle on display, but they also seemed confused by the appeal. They thought the shows were dark: Mandarins opens with a person dancing to death, Crossmen have an apparent death figure, and even the Marines this year have a "body" in their production (a WWI anniversary tribute)--plus much of the music in the first four competitive shows was deliberately harsh, so they wished that more of the music was familiar or accessible. They recognized almost none of the tunes, not even some that they realized they knew when I mentioned the titles.

And these are not particularly insular. They've been to plenty of orchestral concerts; they've had a subscription to the series of touring Broadway shows that comes through town (and Cleveland gets as good a lineup as anywhere outside of NYC); they'll be seeing Hamilton in a couple weeks. They're more widely traveled than I am, having toured to places like Turkey and Russia, albeit mostly on cruise ships. But (the first half of) Monday's show was clearly not to their tastes.

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Yeah this is just a no-no and pains me to even read. It's drum corps, not High School musical, the hornline shouldn't ever have to be in a supporting role. Trust me, I'm no Dino and I'm completely fine with singing coexisting with everything else in DCI. However the key word is coexist, not "take over" or "overpower"

Anyways, I think I'm straying from the purpose of the topic at hand so I'll leave it at that. 

Very strongly disagree. In music there is coexistence and then there are times that someone is clearly in a supporting role, and, this happens in drum corps shows all the time. Of course, the brass is the most defining part of drum corps to a lot of people, but why exactly is it such a crime that it should take a step back for some time? Front ensemble gets its features often enough, however, it spends a lot of time supporting the horn line. Other sections of a horn line support soloists, and sometimes the drumline has long periods where it doesn't even play. I guess I just don't understand why you consider it so sacrilegious that the horn line takes a step back for some time. 

That's all I'll say on this as well because I think it's getting too specific to Crown's show. Of course not meaning any disrespect at all.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I think there are more people like that than like us, and that corps should be mindful of audience limitations. As I mentioned in another thread, I took my aunt and uncle to their first-ever show on Monday. They had to leave early, but they saw the Commandant's Own, Mandarins, Crossmen, Cavaliers, and Boston Crusaders. They were shocked by the size of the crowd and they seemed impressed by the spectacle on display, but they also seemed confused by the appeal. They thought the shows were dark: Mandarins opens with a person dancing to death, Crossmen have an apparent death figure, and even the Marines this year have a "body" in their production (a WWI anniversary tribute)--plus much of the music in the first four competitive shows was deliberately harsh, so they wished that more of the music was familiar or accessible. They recognized almost none of the tunes, not even some that they realized they knew when I mentioned the titles.

There is a fine line to be walked, of course. Some like the darker side of things, while others don't. I know with the band I taught for 24 years, the kids ALWAYS wanted us to create darker shows as opposed to lighter ones, when we would ask them off-season. I like the variety of what is available at a show, from darker as you note to the jazzy shows like Bloo is doing.  

I'm surprised no one has mentioned E=mc2 yet. That and this years bluecoats are the two shows that seem to have the most seamless integration. The vocals in those shows play an integral part of the style, where as most others could have easily been a henline moment. 

I have no love for singing in drum corps.  That being said Bluecoats are by far the most successful with their Session 44 this summer.  Crown's use of it in 2017 was just grating.

• Thanks 1