DCI World Champs Prelims - Aug 9, 2018

12 minutes ago, Musicman1084 said:

3 minutes ago, E3D said:

I agree they are strong. 

And I have the same feeling on the ensemble sound. Not sure why - mainly because I'm not a brass person nor a music major etc. But the show has times where they up the decibels but even still - the ensemble is weak.

Maybe some of you Smahht kids can school me. 

Nope, no schooling.  You are all correct.  It has certainly been their biggest weakness over the years (they've always been VERY strong visually - I believe they've often come close to top 12 in guard way back when Division 2 used to compete in Quarterfinals). Everyone is correct when they say the ensemble sound is fairly thin compared to their immediate competition.  I just think this year is probably the strongest, or at least closest to addressing it, in many years.

Side note: maybe there are others with more knowledge than me in terms of current membership, but I remember back in the day they used to have a LOT of woodwind players filling out the brass line.

back in the days of Division 2/3 (where finals took the highest 5 from 2 and 7 from 3) only corps who broke 90 could advance to Quarterfinals and with good reason.

posted from the DrumScorps app

ScoJo commercial.  Still makes me giggle.

Dude is pimping his wife's "my pillow" aka "drillows" I wonder if it took her 2 entire years to design and complete his patent fill?

[insert Star Trek and Black and White cookie jokes here]

GOLD!

Imagine the kid who lost his black shoe and wore a white one for the performance. That’s all you would watch.

• Haha 1

As I expected, seeing the high cam centered on the 50 makes big difference for the two toned effect.  Michigan City having to set on the 40 doesn't quite capture it.  

And my question about the black fringe is answered.  It's there for the corps but not the guard.  

Just now, MelloNell said:

Imagine the kid who lost his black shoe and wore a white one for the performance. That’s all you would watch.

[starts looking at feet]

2 minutes ago, MelloNell said:

I ended selling my pair of white marching shoes to the parent of one of the MMs for almost that exact reason. They were wearing a black shoe that was spray painted white. 

Edited by Sanguinarian22