DCI World Champs Prelims - Aug 9, 2018

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

No system is perfect. Splitting the responsibility for caption awards among three judges, as the current system does, seems more fair to me.

Though I suppose the G.E. caption could be based on just one night, since there are already four judges.

Won't make a difference this year though, that GE gap is humungous

On the cinema-cast, during BD's show, I repeatedly heard weird noises, which sounded to me like someone else in the stadium was using the same frequency as some of their wireless microphones.

Did anyone else hear this?

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Triple Forte said:

Don't think bluecoats can catch bd? 

Only if they pull some advantage in the captions that have flexibility (Brass, Guard, Visual)... All at the same time... AND... if the percussion content number gives them a bit of a mulligan (like 6th or 7th rather than 8th).

That's a lot of "if's"

But it could happen.  Corps have been known to make major leaps during finals week just on the merits of their strengths (corps going from 3 or 4 to 1... etc.)

Wishful thinking, but not without precedent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Thoughts on the Blue Stars and their new ending, anyone?

Honestly? I think it's about as cheesy as Madison's ending tag. But otherwise Blue Stars have come a LONG way from early season with this show and are performing and selling the CRAP out of it. They seem to be settling solidly into that 8th place position.

Edited by brassboy

8 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

I think last year or the year before didn't he actually run THROUGH two guard members doing some duet move at one point?  He needs to be taken off the field judge rotation.

See bolded section.

Sorry, I said I wasn't going to get on my yearly soapbox about this anymore tonight.  My bad.

But it's because I'm a fan of the corps performing on the field, not a fan of judges judging. 

• Like 1

On the cinema-cast, during BD's show, I repeatedly heard weird noises, which sounded to me like someone else in the stadium was using the same frequency as some of their wireless microphones.

Yes, I did too. I couldn't tell if it was intentional (like, part of their radio static/changing station), but then decided it was interference.

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yes. Heard it in the theater in Maryland. You could clearly hear a "hello" at one point. I was a bit confused if it was the feed, the theater, or what was happening. 

50 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I’m calling it now. We will see one order change in the top 7 tomorrow and one more at finals. JMO 

SCV will increase their gap. Medalist will stay the same but I believe we will see some movement in Crown / Boston / Cavaliers / Cadets 

I don’t think there will be an order change in the top seven tomorrow, but I for one am surprised at the narrowing margin between BD and Bluecoats. With five days off to do nothing but rehearse, I expected BD to close the gap a little with SCV. Instead, Coats are actually within striking distance of Silver now, with a growing gap between SCV and BD, and Bluecoats and Crown. 

There seemed to be some 'city scape sounds' at the start of the show, but after it got rolling, it was just the bass goo that sounded unnatural to me.