DCI World Champs Prelims - Aug 9, 2018

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

On the cinema-cast, during BD's show, I repeatedly heard weird noises, which sounded to me like someone else in the stadium was using the same frequency as some of their wireless microphones.

Did anyone else hear this?

I heard them in Toms River NJ. 

Huh. maybe there was interference of some sort. I just assumed it was some sound effects at the start to make it feel like we were "in the gritty city" or something.   

OMG  start the MICROPHONEGATE conspiracy theories now!  :laughing:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, absynthknight said:

We heard it in San Diego.  

...and, Bellingham, MA.

6 minutes ago, brassboy said:

Yes, I did too. I couldn't tell if it was intentional (like, part of their radio static/changing station), but then decided it was interference.

Thanks to everyone who confirmed I wasn't hearing things!

(That is to say: that we were all hearing the same thing.)

Limited wireless spectrum has been an issue in the theater world, particularly on Broadway, where there are so many theaters so close together using many wireless microphones for big musicals.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I don’t think there will be an order change in the top seven tomorrow, but I for one am surprised at the narrowing margin between BD and Bluecoats. With five days off to do nothing but rehearse, I expected BD to close the gap a little with SCV. Instead, Coats are actually within striking distance of Silver now, with a growing gap between SCV and BD, and Bluecoats and Crown. 

They are just a brass and guard judge away from taking BD again.  They have been adjudicated over them before this season... It could happen.  But the right combination of judges need to be convinced all at the same time.

They wouldn't have to pass them in guard... but they would need to close the gap and probably hold the brass caption.

37 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yes, and I think that makes sense, because that way no one judge determines a caption winner (just as no one judge determines the overall winner).

Correct one judge can't make a winner, but they CAN make a loser

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

Watched prelims today on Flo and tonight at the AMC in downtown Seattle. No technical issues with the theater stream! 

Audience reacted strongest to (in order) SCV, Bloo, BAC, Cadets (gotta love that z-pull). 

Very tepid reaction to BD. We kept hearing what sounded like issues with their on field electronics. Random spoken words, cut outs, etc. I’ve not heard it on any previous broadcast. Can anyone confirm if they had electronics issues today? Reminded of Crown’s issues at finals last year. 

I normally have fun watching the field percussion judge *almost* get run over but this guy was flat out distracting and was involved in multiple interferences and near collisions. Stick him in the box please! 

Bloo’s show is falling short in some content scores but it’s an absolute blast to watch. I’m hoping they carve out this type of niche consistently, and sometimes you’ll strike gold and sometimes you won’t, but the audience will love you for what you do. 

An awesome day of drum corps. Can’t wait til Friday and Saturday! 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

On the cinema-cast, during BD's show, I repeatedly heard weird noises, which sounded to me like someone else in the stadium was using the same frequency as some of their wireless microphones.

Did anyone else hear this?

I heard it but thought it might have been part of the show.